Curiousity poll

.....I am not going to build the Lewis and Clark air gun anytime soon if ever but I would be very happy to watch YOU do it:))

Unfortunately, it won't be anytime soon. I'm still very much a novice and wouldn't think of tackling a project like this right off the bat.
Like you, I'm not wanting an exact replica either. For one thing, I think it would be much easier and safer to use one of those paintball gun CO2 tanks for the reservoir rather than trying to build one. They're rated to hold in excess of 800 psig (830# @ 70 deg F for CO2) which is the charge pressure of the original, per the info I've come across.
Guess it's the bit of PREPPER in me that likes the idea of having something for hunting/self protection that would have an almost unlimited supply of ammunition if one was able to mold the bullets themselves. Lead is fairly easy to come by and very cheap vs buying or even reloading cartridge ammo. Just look at how hard and pricey it is to find and buy .22 shells currently.
I know they'll never perform as well as a regular firearm, but the weight and volume of hundreds of projectiles is, arguably, much less than a comperable number of cartridge ammo for any give caliber.
To add to that, the Girandoni was capable of firing 22 balls (464 caliber) on a single charge that would penetrate a 1" board at 100 yds. Not spectacular performance as far as firearms go, but I wouldn't want to be hit by one. LOL
If and when I feel I'm ready to try and tackle this project, mayby I can contact you for some info/advice.
BTW, do you make your own barrels or use pre-manufactured or barrel blanks ???
I've searched high and low for suppliers of rifling cutters and/or rifling buttons, but can't seem to find any. Plenty of places for gundrills, reamers, and such, but nothing on cutters or buttons. I've even found a set of plans to convert a lathe for gundrilling and plans for making a button rifling machine, but as far as rifling the barrel though, it seems everyone makes their own.

JPigg55
No I really do not deviate from authentic original designs except that which I cant find the information. I am 100% into doing my best to replicate the old authentic AMERICAN made firearms. However I can only guess at some details when I must build from simple sketchs and parts pictures pulled from the net.

As for gun barrels. You pick your own battles. Not an interest of mine- I don't rifle my own barrels but rather buy rifled barrel blanks from a good company...Making barrels could be a hobby all in itself taking a toll on both free time and budget..

I manage to build a couple guns a year. If I were to setup to make barrels that might take a whole year of free time to do it up right and no time for anything else.
The Lewis And Clark air rifle would be a fine gun to build and own , show and shoot. Would love to see somebody here build one.

Back