Custom Rear Bumper With Tire Carrier.

F

Firestopper

Forum Guest
Register Today
I had a request to elaborate on the rear bumper I built for my 05 D-max GMC on the "lets see your shop thread. I didn't want to upset the moderators, so I felt this would be more appropriate.

This build was done back in 06 and no problems have been encountered thus far with well over 68K miles including rough dirt roads.

The tire size prohibited the use of the spare tire carrier under the bed, and I also had other plans for that space for a propane tank (propane injection system).

The bumper Skin is 10 gauge and was cut on the CNC plasma table (like an unfolded box). The real structure for the bumper is a section of 9" channel that mounts to the frame and redesigned hitch. All mig welded in pulse mode. The skin, once broken on the break is held in place with stainless steel hardware. The recovery anchors where welded to the rear of the channel for a flush finish to the skin. All penetrations where done on the initial CNC cutting.

The tire carrier hinge, brakets and over center latch required machining for the most important feature.
This feature allows me to lower the entire spare tire to the ground without killing myself handling this large heavy tire. At 160 lbs and 52 years old , my back is not what it once was, so this is what I came up with.
20150714_124100.jpg IMG_0661.JPG
The spare tire lowers to the ground for removal.
IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0650.JPG
Hinge was bored at both ends to press in HD precision bearings, all brackets where made on the fly as I really had nothing on paper for the moving parts. All hardware used was grade 8. The 2"x3" 1/8" wall tubing was sleeved and delrin bushings made for a smooth quiet operation. The upright support that secures the carrier had a heim joint for easy alignment when raising from the ground. This upright also required a slight bend to allow clearance of the tail gate when loading material into the bed.IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG
The over center latch bracket is also drilled and tapped into the channel and aids in securing the skin flat to the channel/bumper. The pin that allows rotation of the SS u-bolt was turned and two grooves secure it center with snap rings. The SS u-bolt is threaded for adjustability. The bracket that secures the swing arm has large delrin pads for a squeak free ride.IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
A back up camera to the left of the lock really comes in handy for hitching to a trailer. Gun metal gray finished up the build of the skin, and PC black to the main bumper/hitch completed the project.

I also wanted to share another neat feature up front.
Many years ago, I owned a millermatic 200 (1987) that required re arranging the leads for amperage change.
Many of you older guys will remember these machines. Any way, I secured a bunch of the male/female connectors and found a use for them years later.
I modified two jumper cables with the male ends for quick connection for jumping others or being jump started my self.
I had to machine a two piece isolator (delrin) as the front bumper is metal.

IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG
I did the same on my 82 FJ40 front bumper build.IMG_0666.JPG
If any ones is interested in this build I can post up more details and photos. Its a pressure vessel bumper that holds 160 psi max feed by the power plant winch. The air provides air lockers to the front and rear diff, as well as tire inflator.

Tanks for looking.

Paco

Great job , good old American ingenuity , the best tools we have are our minds . Unlimited and willing to try and find away. Nice jumper set up too. Made mine a little different I used a forklift charger ends , works well plus other items can be plug in ,if you use the same size plug. Very nice build on your items bet you have a few hours invested. Let's see more

Very nice workmanship !

A small note regarding the power terminals in the front. I would install a high amp switch close to the battery to avoid fire in case of front damage.

That tyre carrier is really well thought out and made.
Being able to lower the wheel to the ground makes it stand apart from the typical arrangement.
I hope you haven't had cause to use it too many times.

pete

I hope you haven't had cause to use it too many times.

Not a single time. In fact, I can say with confidence, I've only had to change a flat tire (my own) a hand full of times in 36 years of driving.

I have changed plenty helping women over the years....Haha

Thank you all for the kind words, as mentioned, this was built back in 06. I enjoy building things and sometimes challenging myself for that unique

feature not commonly seen.

I can also say, I have build plenty of failed designs that simply didn't work or impractical, but thats how we learn.

"Turn and burn"

Paco

Excellent job Paco. I remember asking you about it and then must have missed this. Sorry, but thanks for sharing your idea. I may borrow part of it as I am up against a similar issue with the 36" tires on my 06 D-Max. The spare right now just rides in the bed but it bugs the hell out of me and won't fit under the truck, especially with my Curt 15k pound hitch that I added.

Mike.

Back