Cut-50 Plasma Cutter

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I just spent two days trying to remove a strut from my car, and had to resort to a plasma torch to get two bolts off. I had bookmarked the Cut-50 torch because of conversations about it here. It was even cheaper than before at $170, but I heard good things, so I bought it.

There's issues to be sure, one of the largest being that there's safety instructions, a picture of how the air tubing is run, and that's about it. NO operating instructions!
Also, the ceramic cup is a little too large for the torch head and a light knock to the side will cause it to fall off. The wire loop used to keep the cup at the proper distance was also loose, and on the first cut, it moved under the nozzle and was cut in two. Luckily, it's easy enough to do by eye.

But! Other than those issues, I was able to figure out a setting that worked, and got the two bolts out! I call that a win.

That was what I initially got as well. Has worked well for me.

Made a few changes to it.
  • Replaced air hose for better quality
  • Replaced hose adapter with quick connect adapter
  • Replace short and thin power cable with thicker and longer (10') cable
  • And just for the heck of it, since I had to removed the cover to replace the wire harness, painted the cover green to match the rest of the tools that I have been getting... funny thing is that green is not even my favorite color, it is blue...
IMG_3157.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3169.jpg

that picture reminds me of another puzzle. Mine has two dials. One is amperage which makes sense, but the second is "S" doesn't seem to do anything that I could see. I did the quick connect as well, the 1/4" connector fits straight into the regulator.

Been a few years, another forum I used to frequent had a mass but in cut 50s. I rolled the dice and bought one with a bunch of consumables. Like you no idea how to use one and no real directions, so it was off to utube night school for me.

The wire stand off didn't last long so I bought a replacement that has little wheels, wrong size but it works??

I don't use it often but it has held up just fine. Several members gave some tips for things to check before using. Mostly checking all connections and wire routing. I found a bad connection that was easily fixed. Don't recall any details.

Check all connections and get a little piece of mind. Enjoy it.

Back