Cutting 4” hole in stainless?

taltexan

Registered
Registered
What would be the best way to machine cut a 4” hole in 3/4” stainless? Plasma is not an option. I’ve cut two holes with 3/8 end mill on rotary table but taking to long. I have a Val Cut but it’s breaking bits. I’ve read about a Holex brand with two cutters, they are pricey. Has anyone used the Holex on stainless? Any other recommendations on cutting this part?

Last edited:
Holex appears to make a variety of cutters, including an annular cutter like this:

They also make a hole saw, which I don’t think would be nearly as good:

Oh I see Val-Cut is a trepanning cutter. That seems tough in stainless.

What grade stainless?
How many holes?
What tolerance?
316L

1715143436788.jpeg
Maybe a circle cutter could suit your needs.
If you use a carbide trepanning tool, you will get the most lifetime. An M42 blank would suffice too.
Substitute cobalt pilot drills for more holes per bit .

A carbide hole saw and punching the holes are the only other accurate options i can think of without plasma , flame ,or electrical discharge

View attachment 489363
If you use a carbide trepanning tool, you will get the most lifetime. An M42 blank would suffice too.

A carbide hole saw and punching the holes are the only other accurate options i can think of without plasma , flame ,or electrical discharge

I have a trepanning cutter similar to that. It would be absolute agony in 3/4" 316

View attachment 489363

Wow, been a while since I seen one of those. I have one that’s called a Bore master Jr that has carbide inserts. Made in Germany. Have never used it. Still in the box

Back