Cutting a key slot with a lathe

Thanks for posting that very interesting and practical video. Much enjoyed!!

Nice video. I want to see how you do a pulley slot with a lathe, since I have been thinking of a quick way without a broach. I have seen a video like yours, maybe Tubal Cain, not sure, it's been awile.
Paul

Nice one Tom.

Thanks for the vidio I like the jig just going to have to make one of those.

This is a pic of something similar that I made to hold the Flexy Drive in the tool post or vert slide.

Regards BRIAN.

P1010410.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
broach press

HI
for those whom want a broach press heere is one I built.
[video=youtube;3qLjuZKBHXQ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLjuZKBHXQ [/video]
Enco sell the broach collar and broaching tool I think is a very good price.

have fun Tom

On the method shown in the first video, there is a caution: End mills seldom cut exactly on size, especially when held on a chuck rather than a collet. They also flex or pull off center when cutting, so when dialing back for another pass, they will cut oversize. If you need a closely sized keyway, back out of the cut to return to zero. Feed slowly and minimize side pull. Check you size in a scrap piece to ensure the size.

author=acourtjester link=topic=1420.msg7718#msg7718 date=1301245648
HI
Here is a tool I developed to cut key slots in a shaft.
[video=youtube;eVgZol6Mfvo] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVgZol6Mfvo [/video]
hav fun
Tom

Most enjoyable, thank you. I admire your ingenuity. I am inspired to
cut some iron.

Best.

hello-i'm a new member today-this is the first video i'v seen and i'm so glad i did. i picked up on a couple of things i'm glad to know--thank you alot.

I have cut internal and external keyways (parallel ones that is) using a sturdy boring bar in the toolpost with a bit ground to the correct profile. Set 2 or 3 thou cut using the cross slide and then, with the pulley or the shaft in the chuck and the lathe chuck "locked" by using the lowest gear, I wound the carriage and the tool along the bed with the handwheel (lathe not running of course) In effect using the lathe as a manual or hand shaper. Got me out of a corner!
Phil

Back