Cutting Oil STP?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys watching YouTube past Saturday seen a guy using STP oil treatment instead of cutting oil.So me being so gullible I gave it a try,I be Mikey likes it.Its very thick and kinda sticky so the rpm of part does not sling all of oil off.But it also kinda collets chips which I guess isn’t a big deal but you really have to wipe it down take reading or just don’t want a sticky part.Has anyone else have STP try?

Lubricating oils (including STP) are for lubricating, cutting oils are for cutting. Polar opposites. Sure, you can slather on just about any oil and cut the work, or no oil at all. The tool will still cut. Cutting oils have attributes that have been chosen specifically for the job of cutting. What is the good reason for using something else, beyond trying to save a penny or two on a cut? Wouldn't cutting dry be cheaper yet? I really don't understand why we keep kicking this topic around... Use whatever you want, or nothing, and the tool will still do it's job, which is cutting. If you are trying to optimize, I would choose products that are designed for the job. Another choice is Anchor Lube, a water based machinist cutting product, that sticks tight to the work and works very well at helping the surface finish. It can also be diluted with water to any consistency you want. They will send you a free sample to try it out.

I can only imagine what a sticky mess one would have in how little time! Personally I use tap magic for most any and all cutting tasks on steel and stainless, and recomend it highly

Cutting oil is much cheaper than STP. It's also very effective, and readily available.

I like using STP for bearing installations . Haven't found anything better to this point .

I see videos of guys dabbing lube every few pecks while drilling. Why?
Aluminum, I haven't found anything better than WD 40. It's not good for much else.
Chip welding occurs while drilling, cutting or milling for me if I don't use it on aluminum.
For cutting threads I always use Anchorlube.
On the lathe, for steel, I don't use any cutting oil. I get good results.
Haven't tried Tapmagic on aluminum yet.
Just my 2 cents.

Tack modifiers? Detergents? Zinc dithiophosphate? STP gots all that, minus the oil. I bet warm nacho cheese would stick where you put it and give you a smooth, tasty finish. Somehow, I always appreciate recommendations that come with a good explanation, because I'm coming up empty on this one.

I always appreciate recommendations that come with a good explanation

Bacon fat..... because Bacon!

Well I'm not one of those bacon lovers but I hear using it will make you hungry & make the whole shop smell good. :D

I see videos of guys dabbing lube every few pecks while drilling. Why?
Aluminum, I haven't found anything better than WD 40. It's not good for much else.
Chip welding occurs while drilling, cutting or milling for me if I don't use it on aluminum.
For cutting threads I always use Anchorlube.
On the lathe, for steel, I don't use any cutting oil. I get good results.
Haven't tried Tapmagic on aluminum yet.
Just my 2 cents.

Try Relton A-9 on aluminum. Best aluminum cutting fluid out there, at least as far as I know, and definitely better than WD-40. When surface finish matters, try A-9.

For thread cutting and any other high pressure situation (knurling, tapping), try sulfur-bearing oils. Works much better than Anchorlube for these tasks, at least in my experience. Anchorlube is good for stainless steels, especially for finish cuts on a surface that isn't work hardened.

For steel, cutting oils like Tap Magic, Tapmatic Gold and others intended for steel improve finishes and extend cutter life. Good oils actually alter chip formation, especially in steels but also in most materials. Cutting oils when boring steels will definitely alter chip formation favorably, while WD-40 or A-9 do the same for aluminum.

Not dissing your 2 cents; more like adding on 2 more to make 4.

Back