Cutting Shallow Angles On 4x6

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
I somewhat regularly find myself cutting shallow angles on my little band saw. By shallow, I mean in the range of 10-25 degrees. Until now I have just tried to clamp the stock (usually on its side) to the saw and cut it that way, but that is frequently very off of square and depending on how long the piece is, how wide, etc. it can't really be done. I did some googling and found some stuff like welded 90* "L" shaped pieces and such, but my issue is really how to cut these angles while securely fastening the work. I usually cut stuff between 1/4"-1/2" thick, which on edge and at shallow angles, makes it very tough to fixture. But I know you guys are pretty clever and must have something ingenious kicking around. Pictures would be awesome, but I'll take whatever I can get right now!

For shallow angles, I usually use the saw in a vertical position and hand feed. I very seldom use a saw cut as a finished surface, preferring to mill the surface for a clean face. The 4 x 6 horizontal band saws were never intended to be precision cutting machines. Their purpose is to cut off stock. They really don't offer a good opportunity to clamp short pieces

If you do enough shallow angle cuts, it may warrant making a plate to fit your saw where you can clamp from the outboard side. A piece of 1/2" x 5" x 12" relieved for the saw blade and upper blade guide and with a few strategically placed tapped holes would provide a nice "table" that will allow a variety of clamping schemes.

Bob

I'm not expecting it to be a precision cut of any sort, but when I say out of square, I mean REALLY out of square, and my little mill can't do more than a few thou depth of cut in steel, so it makes it really slow going.

Here is what I was talking about. The plate is held in the saw with your current vise and the you can fasten your work from the right using your mill step clamps. If you have repetitive work, you can clamp guides or fixtures as well. You can add as many or few holes as you want; go crazy. If you wish, you can add holes to the left side as well.

Bob
4 x 6 Plate.JPG

A picture of your current set up would help us help you.

Just saw in a older HSM or MW an angle attachment that worked kinda like a scissor jack on it's side. You crank the angle in with a protractor place against the fixed jaw clamp the stock and saw. I think you can find the issue in their downloadable index. Looked pretty slick.

Check Youtube, there are many videos showing maintenance and proper setup for small bandsaws

Steved.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I will play around and see if I can find something that works for the work I do.

Back