D1-4 Chucks Back Plate Interchangability

I would not recommend a beginner to make them, there is an ansi standard for them, they need to be hardened as well.

You don't want to harden the pins. They will snap off at the instant a sudden shock hits them. Make them from high heat treat such as 41xx 28-36 HRC, yes.
All ANSI specifies is dimensions for the pins and features of the "D" series needed to make necessary parts. It is totally up to the manufacture on what materials and heat treat to use.

I didn't say they needed to be 62rc but they do need way more in toughness and hardness than 1018....

I started making a pair of chuck keys today. I had several pieces of 1" sucker rod and turned a pair about 4 1/2" long. Now I have to part them off, square the ends and drill for handles. I think the sucker rods are 4140 steel so should work ok.
Elmo

Elmo, looking forward to seeing your chuck keys.

Re D1-4 studs, I have made some from grade 8,8 metric bolts and wonder if you folks think that is suitable steel for holding an 8'' chuck to the spindle.

I marked my head and both my D1-4 chucks so I can always put the chucks in with the same pin going in the same hole. The idea is that I spent a long time fiddling around to minimize run out. ie., Install chuck, test run out. Remove chuck rotate to next pin, reinstall, test run out. Etc... So I want to make sure I put things together the same way each time.
If nothing else it makes me feel better.

the location and runout is governed by the short taper inside of the pin pattern. bill

Bill is correct - the runout of the back plate should be governed by the short taper inside the pin pattern (once the chuck mounting surface of the back plate has been machined). Of course the chuck performance "is what it is" but dealing with that is another topic, which has been discussed in numerous threads. Theoretically, it should not matter what pin the chuck assembly goes on - when it is a quality machine and the spindle nose is in good condition. My machines probably don't qualify - they are not horrible, but they are not perfect. I have been through the basic chuck & mounting tuning activities - with good result. On my machine, there is certainly a preferred orientation which gives slightly better results, compared to the other two positions.

Update
A while back the guy that I got thelathe from called and said that he had found a box of stuff that went the lathe. I picked it up and behold, the original pins were in it. Also a face plate. I replaced the grizzley pins with the original ones and it mounts a lot easier.
Elmo

Back