Dad's Old Waterloo Machinist box

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I've had this a couple years now, my dad has had it since I was 5 or 6 years old. A couple years ago Benny & I went down to get a truck he gave me and sent this home with me. I've been storing junk in it but last night I lubed the drawer slides and I'm gonna use it as it's intended purpose. I'll never let it go.

Waterloo (1).JPG Waterloo (4).JPG

My Dad passed 2yrs ago and I'm slowly cleaning his shop. What some may see as just another tool is priceless in the memories it holds. I like to see things passed down and appreciated.

Nice box, and a nice story. In my family, each side we have several generations of carpenters, and in my garage are some of the tools from each of those generations :) nothing of great value, but as you said, the memories :D

peace

rich

Cool stories. I came upon one in pretty much the same way. My wife's grandfather was a machinist and dabbled with a shop smith at home (which I now have) When he passed Grandma offered all his tooling to me - I guess because I enjoyed woodworking so much at the time, and no one else was interested in the stuff?) Anyhow, I've had this what I called old beat-up tool chest / box for many years, and probably opened it three times, but I never really knew what the stuff inside was used for, or just plain never needed to use any of it. Well, a few years ago I got into some machining work for some hobby stuff, and picked up a small bench top mill/drill. Nope - still found no use for what he had in that old tool chest, but it sure was getting dusty and mildew ridden by now!

Then, a year ago last January I got the bug to pick up a lathe, because the Shop Smith wood lathe got abused to much doing what I did with it. (chuckle) I got to thinking - let's look at that tool chest one more time, and maybe clean it up and use it in the garage workshop with the lathe and mill now. Boy it sure had some nice tools in it, and it cleaned up nice. Only problem? Now I need more storage room for tooling (don't we all) so I'm looking for another chest at rummage sales and such. I do have a metal box my son got me quite some time ago - has 3 sliding drawers a and an upper tray area. Right now that is up in the hunting shack, but I may need to bring it back home!:thinking:

Anyhow - here is the one all this babbling was about.:whiteflag:

box01.jpgbox02.jpg

box01.jpg box02.jpg

That is a really cool old box.

My Dad is still alive but has dementia, I remember this box from the first house we lived in and remember getting spanked on more than one occasion over this tool box and it's contents over the years. My Dad never was a a machinist, I guess he just bought it cause it was cool or he got it in a deal (He's always been a wheeler-dealer). My oldest grandson (3 yrs old) likes to come to pa's shop and help him, I hope I can pass it on to him and he keeps it and cherishes as I do.

i remember my grandfather's workshop like it was yesterday although i haven't seen it since i was 5 years old when he passed on.
the remembrances of the smell is still vivid as well as the placement of his tooling. i used to go into his shop and pretend i was making stuff of fixing broken stuff just like the old man did.

i guess i never got over trying to make things or fix stuff...
Apparently, it's an affliction that gets passed down.

i remember my grandfather's workshop like it was yesterday although i haven't seen it since i was 5 years old when he passed on.
the remembrances of the smell is still vivid as well as the placement of his tooling. i used to go into his shop and pretend i was making stuff of fixing broken stuff just like the old man did.

i guess i never got over trying to make things or fix stuff...
Apparently, it's an affliction that gets passed down.

Nice story, my shop now used to be my grandfathers saw shop, back some 4 decades ago... your story made me think of him working with the machines sharpening saws. I have about 6 old oil applicators here, they have a spot on a shelf. I don't use them, but they do remind me of him. Wish he had lived longer, it would have been nice to have worked with him in his shop.

peace

rich

Back