Damn Clever!

I see this and I want to cry....so much of this stuff was here in our plants....divided up sold at auction shipped over seas....I have no problem with anyone working, creating a living no matter where you live.
I just remember when it was our neighbors that were the RR Engineer, Tool &Die Maker, forging press man, Production Machinist , Delivery Route Driver/Salesman, Slitter,

How to ruin the jaw of a chuck. The mechanism is interesting.
I had to take a second look. Yeah, those hardened jaws could have been annealed, drilled and tapped, then re-hardened.
But, welding the arm to the jaw is an option :)

They probably dedicated that machine to only doing that one operation.
I worked at a shop that a dozen Bridgeports all set up with a fixture. The Handles were often taken off. There is no profit in set up time and a once proven Setup and the chance of an error on the next set up made it smarter to buy a used worn Bridgeport and set it up for one operation.

I worked at a shop that a dozen Bridgeports all set up with a fixture. The Handles were often taken off. There is no profit in set up time and a once proven Setup and the chance of an error on the next set up made it smarter to buy a used worn Bridgeport and set it up for one operation.
Can you come talk to my current management team?

I was told during my apprenticeship that 90% of the job was the proper setup and this holds true to most machining jobs.

Boss: "Why did this take so long?"

Because there was 1.5hrs of setup work needed before you walked in on me doing the 15min of machining needed.

I feel like Im working with children playing dress up with daddys clothes some days..

Back