Dan Gelbart Posts Video Of His Home Made Precision Lathe

I had bought a Weiler Matador years ago that was in excellent mechanical condition. I got it too cheap to turn it down,but at the time I just could not make enough room for it. So,I kept it at the shop at work for a few years and finally sold it to a friend. I had no idea that in a year or 2 I'd be moving into another house where I'd be building a large shop. I'm still kicking myself in the rear end for selling it,but hindsight is 20-20,as they say.

I'll admit,I wasn't crazy about that German nose either,where you have to unscrew bolts to get the chuck off,and couldn't find faceplates or chuck backing plates in any of my sources. Maybe if I looked in German supply places,for the price of a small car I could have found these items!:)

So,I now have to listen to my friend telling me what a wonderful lathe it is whenever I speak to him. He's in New Jersey. Knowing him,I'm sure he refinished the lathe to a beautiful state!! I'd love to see the lathe now.

They are using Weilers on the new aircraft carriers. They only cost as much as a plane!:)

And yes,no doubt the builder has thought about everything.

That's incredible. I like the spinning piston at the beginning...gonna have to build one of those...if it works I'll let you know...if you don't hear from me....well you get the idea...I sure I can do it.... when pigs fly.

The air bearing from semi conductor machines....I think that's what he says? Cheap on Ebay...couple hundred bucks he says.....I can't find any....anyone know a search clue?

Makes me think of Mr. Ford and Edison. Both kinda started in a basement. Figuratively speaking.
dickr

a billionaire can have what ever toy his heart desires , not matter the cost

Back