Darn unwanted side project! :(

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Outside, it's all white everywhere, below freezing, a fog and hard frost all day, and all night!
We are in the run-up to Christmas. Honey wants the super energy-efficient (Seimens) heat pump tumble drier to do it's stuff really well, preferably until spring at least. This is not happening! Running to stop the alarm bleating when the wash is nowhere near dry is more than an annoyance! Every filter is cleaned, and all the condensed water cleared away before every use, but to no avail.

One's journey through disassembly of a modern white goods build, even one of the "premium" models is depressing. Built to a (questionable) price, every part of this plastic and sharp edge metal monster depends on various other bits, click-locked together in a way that suggests it was intended to go together only once, and had better been have put together in the right sequence. Why is it on a vintage workmate in the middle of the hall? Easy - it is because there is a radiator right there, and daddy is not going to feeze his nuts off in the garage, nor anywhere else. Steadily, piece by piece, the whole thing has to come apart, just to unlock access to some other secret click-locked plastic below it. At a guess, I have 40 or 50 Torx screws taken out.

Finally, the condenser fins are found, clogged up with a wet lint mess that perhaps the designers had not succeeded in stopping. It makes a peculiar kind of "soggy blanket" yuk mess on the fins that pretty much inhibits the air flow. The labour taken just to get it apart probably exceeds the value of all it's major working parts!
So now honey wants a new dryer, PDQ, and also wants the present one fixed, even faster! She suggests we keep two. Apparently this is what it takes to get over the "they don't make 'em like they used" to phenomenon.

This is the "cleaner" end. The really yuk mess is underneath.

Clogged Fins.jpg

Partly cleaned up. The whole works can be lifted out, with the compressor and all, but at some risk! The fins are very soft and fragile. The parts were put in, and pipes charged with refrigerant and soldered up afterward. You can't remove that stuff supported only by the tubes that go between the bits.

Heat Pump Innards.jpg

Chaos, but at least it's warm! The question is - can I get it all to go back together? :(
Heatpump Drier Chaos.jpg

Holy cow- I hope you took notes (and hopefully pictures) as you went
Siemens should stick to what it does well. What is that again?
:)
Even now, I know that at the end, I will be looking at a Torx head screw in my hand, and wondering where it needed to be :)

Hmm .. Siemens. That would be high speed trains. Hydro-Electric plant? Wind turbines? Light bulbs?

Yuk. Condensers in clothes dryers suck. Too bad England is so deathly fearful of natural gas... you'd have dry clothes the same day if you did.

Peeling the wrapper off of appliances is a pain. It's never in a good spot!

It's nice to know that when it comes to spare parts, Chicom=Samsung=GE=Whirlpool=LG=Maytag... there exists only one set of plans for any given appliance that is made in China, and all parts are common to it. I'm not kidding, any repair parts you will find for a dryer made in the last 20 years is a one size fits everything solution, because they're all the same. Like old Volkswagens. Weird, huh?

Yuk. Condensers in clothes dryers suck. Too bad England is so deathly fearful of natural gas... you'd have dry clothes the same day if you did.

Peeling the wrapper off of appliances is a pain. It's never in a good spot!

It's nice to know that when it comes to spare parts, Chicom=Samsung=GE=Whirlpool=LG=Maytag... there exists only one set of plans for any given appliance that is made in China, and all parts are common to it. I'm not kidding, any repair parts you will find for a dryer made in the last 20 years is a one size fits everything solution, because they're all the same. Like old Volkswagens. Weird, huh?

It seems these things use a fraction of the energy that the direct, heat it up and vent to air types do. The heat pump types re-use the heat of the hot end of the condenser "refrigerator" heat exchanger. They only get to about 50C to 55C, instead of to 72C to 75C. By design, they take longer to get the load dry, but at a much lower energy cost.

Whatever their benefits, I can't come to like them, much less be proud of their "features". For us folk at 51°N, they are necessary things, but for me, they are a ever present pending distracting side-project, just waiting to become my latest irritation!

The whole hassle of "getting it repaired" means I will cheerfully ignore the guarantee terms. The household can be back to normal in a day or two, instead of a couple of weeks. Even if what I find is catastrophic, a new one can arrive almost next day. This time, I think I end up with two.

Last edited:
Even now, I know that at the end, I will be looking at a Torx head screw in my hand, and wondering where it needed to be :)

Hmm .. Siemens. That would be high speed trains. Hydro-Electric plant? Wind turbines? Light bulbs?
I'm surprised you didn't include radiotherapy and radiography.

Yes but what about all those little sparrows and chickadees out there shivering on their branches? They need that excess hot air that you are so
miserly recirculating. Energy saver my foot I say
Oh and I just remembered who made the electrical system on my '97 Jeep Cherokee- Siemens

Last edited:
Solar powered clothes dryer. 100% green.
View attachment 429767
We do that too, but it does not work here when it's below freezing, in freezing fog, and not seen the sun for days! Also, my Levi's red tab stuff is never the same after having undergone a spell of "solid state"!

Last edited:
Back