[How-To] Dayton 2 x42 sander What to do for dust collection?

CODEMAN

Active User
Registered
I have been jury rigging my dust collection on my 2 inch sander. There’s a vacuum port on the disk sanding side of the tool but on the belt side there’s none. I have a 4 inch adapter on my shop vac that I clamp at the base of the belt and it works fairly well. I would like to hear what others are doing for dust collection with this tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pics...
most of the dust is flung off when it hits the first wheel, but some travels around close to the belt. So try to capture at that first wheel, or right under the platten.

Certainly you must know that there are going to be lots of opinions, but trial and error will help .. Also 2 opposite things are needed, velocity, and CFM.. CFM is opposite velocity.. more cfm means a bigger pipe and bigger fan... more velocity is a smaller pipe , smaller fan with higher speed.
cfm will pick up the floating debris, while high velocity is good for getting in close...

on my woodworking bandsaw I use vac under the cutting area, and a dust collector at the bottom of the wheel for the blade. I can't get my 4" hose close to the blade.

I use my Dayton 2x42 sander for grinding metal , have a 4" x8" tray 2" deep glued under the bottom wheel , filled with an inch of water , it captures almost all the hot metal dust and swarf in there, every once in a while I replenish the water. for grinding wood, the grinder came with an attachment with a 2.1/2" outlet for a shopvac, it was adequate.

I use a bread baking pan half filled with water directly under the belt to catch the debris and dust. It works pretty good. There is some dust that escapes but not much.

I’m mostly sanding hard wood and lexan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back