DC motor milling help please

Ian41094

Registered
Registered
Hello all, first post on this forum.

I recently acquired a used hobby benchtop milling machine online, a Chester Champion 16vs. When i picked it up the mains wire had been snipped so there was no way to test it, after driving home with it and going to change the mains cable i opened it up & noticed almost all the wires were disconnected.

I have spent the last couple of weeks learning about DC motors, tachometers, potentiometers, how they all work and slowly re wiring this hobby mill in the evenings after work but I am stumped at the current issue.

The motor itself was in great condition, but ordered new brushes and replaced them anyway, gave the commutator a clean at work.
The Potentiometer (speed control) is working correctly (i assume), as the machine wont start up unless it is adjusted to the lowest setting. I have wired it into P1, P2 and P3 on the control board as specified in the wiring diagram for the machine. The guard (Interlock) works as the machine wont light up unless it is closed.

My issue is that i finally got it almost working, but it will only work with the on button pressed down. As soon as i let go of the on button the power goes off again. It has a NVR switch for the on/ off button. I have ordered a new NVR switch just incase it is that which should hopefully arrive soon.

I am a CNC programmer/ setter full time and am mechanically minded but not very good at the electronics side of things, its been an interesting learning curve trying to sort this out though!

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?

Thankyou in advance,

Atvb Ian

Hi Ian, If the NVR is switching the mains power that would be the likely culprit. It may have failed internally somehow and won't latch. The replacement should fix it. You could bypass it temporarily until the replacement arrives. The other possibility is that the switch isn't wired correctly and the latching coil is not getting power. If that's the case we can deal with that when the time comes. The Grizzly site is a good source of electrical info and parts as their machines are representative of many of the commonly seen imports, and their manuals have schematic diagrams.
You have either a old-school scr drive or a more modern mosfet drive. The scr drives are easier to troubleshoot and repair in my opinion, and more reliable
-Mark

Last edited:
Back