Dead center use. Normal or not normal?

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As a newbie, I've noticed on YouBoob a guy using his dead center in his 3-jaw chuck. Seems that because of the taper that it would not be able to be chucked up and made steady and aligned. He then aligned his tailstock with the dead center in the chuck. I thought it was to be used in the spindle throat. Is this normal use for a dead center? Thanks

Not uncommon to place some round stock in the Chuck and turn a 60 degree taper. Next time you use it just take a small cut to true it.

Not uncommon to place some round stock in the Chuck and turn a 60 degree taper. Next time you use it just take a small cut to true it.
Not the question I was asking. Not making a dead center.

As a newbie, I've noticed on YouBoob a guy using his dead center in his 3-jaw chuck. Seems that because of the taper that it would not be able to be chucked up and made steady and aligned. He then aligned his tailstock with the dead center in the chuck. I thought it was to be used in the spindle throat. Is this normal use for a dead center? Thanks

Are you 100% sure it was a dead centre with a taper?
I think it would be extremely difficult to chuck up a tapered dead centre and have it be concentric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you 100% sure it was a dead centre with a taper?
I think it would be extremely difficult to chuck up a tapered dead centre and have it be concentric.

Yes. He was truing up the face of the dead center because it was kind of blunted on the tip. (Glad your still following me! Ha)

Do you have a link to the video?

Yes. He was truing up the face of the dead center because it was kind of blunted on the tip.
A dead center is hardened . Was he grinding it ?

Do you have a link to the video?

I was just looking for it but can't find it at the moment. For "mmcmdl" He was cutting the tip not grinding it.

Not that what he was doing so much as is this normal to use a dead center in the chuck?

Sure , if it's a straight shank and is machinable . Place it in the chuck and true up the angle . Saves the time of removing the chuck from the machine .

Sure , if it's a straight shank and is machinable . Place it in the chuck and true up the angle . Saves the time of removing the chuck from the machine .
No it was a tapered shank. I can see where if it were a straight shank there would be no problem.

Back