Dead center use. Normal or not normal?

No then . It's not normal . :grin: ( unless he bored tapered soft jaws for it )

The dead center used in the headstock is normally left soft so that it can be trued to run true; the center that is soft is generally cut with a vee behind the point to indicate that it is the soft center, the tailstock center does not have the vee cut into it,

Wow, I have seen quite a few deadcenters with the Vee, but never heard what they are used for. thanks much for a very informative bit of info!

Glenn

I think I saw the same video. Looking at several dead centers, some have a parallel region just behind the tip. That can be chucked on. Check a few if you can obtain decent photos or examine in person.

Maybe he did what I have done occasionally, M3 to M2 adaptor in the spindle so the M2 centre extends far enough to stick out beyond the chuck.
(Havnt seen the video)

From this discussion I decided to buy a straight shank dead center for the chuck. I re-aligned my tailstock and what a difference it made. It now cuts true instead of a slight taper. Thanks guys!

A "straight shank" dead center (meaning it is not hardened)? Isn't that also referred to as "bar stock"? After all, the point of it is that one can / does easily skim the tip every time it is used (depending on the desired accuracy). This is to correct for the normal - hopefully minimal - run out that is typical with a 3J chuck. Once skimmed, that center will be dead on to the inherent accuracy of the machine (until it is removed from the chuck).

Only used it for tailstock alignment. I had also just reground the jaws. (1944 South Bend 9A restoration.)

Back