Dead chuck

GK1918

Active User
Registered
I think more people read the general so I'll ask here. I have a 1980s Duracraft 1600 drill press
that I need a new chuck for. It has no hole in the quill so that rules out a taper. I does have a
looks like lock nut above the chuck (thats free). I looked up in the chuck with a mirror and it does
not have a screw common to regular drills. So I assume this is a right hand threaded chuck. I
have done everything known with no avail. Bought new, looks new, runs new just needs a
chuck. I even ground down a three sided 1/2 bolt and put the air impact to it, in both directions
no results, tried a pickel bar Possibly a taper , no way. Also with all my attempts, I have not
caused any damage. My origional manual has no mention of chuck removal, just a part no.
Any ideas before I get a bigger hammer. Sam

Some older chucks,like my 1964 Craftsman drill press chuck, have a ring just above the chuck. It has a few holes in it so you can unscrew it with a spanner. Once loose(it is a right hand thread),there is a #33 Jacobs taper into the body of the chuck.. Then,you can tap the chuck downwards to dislodge it. The very useful threaded ring keeps the chuck from flying off when run at high speed,or with a router bit. You can still buy these chucks today. I don't know if your drill press has this same arrangement or not.

It could be that screwing your nut downwards helps pop the chuck loose from its taper.

Thanks George, you are correct, yesterday I took the whole quill out and vised it, and with a spy
glass,very small print Jacobs 33 taper. So it looks like backing off the nut should pop the chuck
tried that with hammer no way, so I put it all back together I'll just have to live with it. And
believe me If I really want to, it will come off cause it didnt grow in there I just dont want to
bugger the shaft then its scrap.

GK,

Tapers can be a real PITA to get split apart.

All you need to do is either buy yourself or make, as I do, a pair of chuck wedges. You pop them under the nut but pressing against the chuck, a block on one side resting against one of the tapers, and tap the other taper with say a 1lb hammer and the chuck should just drop off.

If you don't want the chuck any more, you could try gently heating it, that normally expands the taper socket enough to let it fall off.

To give you an idea about what I am on about

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Wedges-Drifts

John

Thanks guys, I got into part of Jacobs web site instructions are, to remove quill, back off the nut
putting pressure on the chuck, retract chuck jaws, stick a drift punch in the chuck / shaft, and a good
rap with the hammer. Makes sense to me. Instead of a punch I rather use a 1/2 bolt that will present
a bigger target for the hammer instead of my thumb. sam

This is one of my least favorite tasks. I have one that has gotten the best of me so far. I was given a Milwaukee 1/2" drill. Good, arm breaking, commercial drill......with one jaw of the keyless chuck snapped off. Factory chucks from Milwaukee are way high, but I need to replace it....once I get it off. It has a LH screw up the middle, but I can't remove the chuck. (yet)

author=Tony Wells link=topic=3597.msg26527#msg26527 date=1316480483
This is one of my least favorite tasks. I have one that has gotten the best of me so far. I was given a Milwaukee 1/2" drill. Good, arm breaking, commercial drill......with one jaw of the keyless chuck snapped off. Factory chucks from Milwaukee are way high, but I need to replace it....once I get it off. It has a LH screw up the middle, but I can't remove the chuck. (yet)

I have a old milwaukee that has the left hand threaded screw in the middle but the chuck unscrews with right handed threads. Try clamping the chuck between a couple of boards in your vise and run the drill in reverse (assuming your's has a reverse). Between the heat of the friction and you slowly tighening the vise, it may loosen. Of course a good penetrating oil would help first too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try that. The factory method won't work for me because of the missing jaw. I have considered milling through the shell and getting a better drip on the chuck, or just milling deep enough to split whatever the threaded portion is. I have soaked it at length, and used a strap wrench on it, but of course, there isn't much impact to loosen the chuck with that.

X-ray, it's the same as yours, left hand screw right hand chuck. I may put some heat on it too. For all I know, someone used loctite on it. It is the original chuck, but that may not matter. Maybe it came loose and maintenance may have locked it on there.

dont feel bad Tony I also am trying to save a new chuck from a half in drill and I cant get the screw out.
I know its left used impact on it last resort it to drill this screw out. drill used once and somebody dropped
it breaking the brush end to pieces. Oh well its drill press time again, and as said above i do see a
small hole up there it thought it was the shafts center (drilled).

Odd, GK...I can wreck the remains of the chuck to get it off the drill, and you can wreck the remains of the drill to save the chuck!

I may just take a chop saw to it....

Hope you get yours off!

Back