Dead steady rest finger tips made of aluminium?

Flynth

Registered
Registered
I have a steady rest with solid steel fingers that have pressed in "buttons" made of aluminium. I never heard of using aluminium as friction material. Does anyone have any experience using it? Did anyone have a horrible experience trying it? I wonder if I can use it as it is, or do I have to make buttons from a different material (bronze, maybe brass). Please let me know your advice.

I plan to use the steady with steel shafts.

The steady came with a 50 year old lathe, but looking at the wear on the fingers it is likely to have been used no more than once or twice.

Aluminum is a fairly good bearing surface. Caterpillar used it in the main bearings of the pony motors on older CATS.
It's not as good as bronze or brass but I'm sure it would work just fine. I would just use it and replace it with bronze or
brass if it wears out.

Is it possible that the buttons are actually Babbitt metal or similar, not aluminum?

Doesn't aluminum gall with quite a few metals? What materials do you turn?

My spidey sense tells me that aluminum wouldn't be a good choice at all. I made brass inserts when modifying the roller bearings on my steady rest.

It's probably some type of alloy. I would try bronze or brass

Doesn't aluminum gall with quite a few metals? What materials do you turn?

My spidey sense tells me that aluminum wouldn't be a good choice at all. I made brass inserts when modifying the roller bearings on my steady rest.
This.gif

Bronze or cast iron are the best materials for steady rest fingers.

Is it possible that the buttons are actually Babbitt metal or similar, not aluminum?
It is definitely aluminium, babbit metal files differently.
Aluminum is a fairly good bearing surface. Caterpillar used it in the main bearings of the pony motors on older CATS.
It's not as good as bronze or brass but I'm sure it would work just fine. I would just use it and replace it with bronze or
brass if it wears out.
Thanks, I'll do this :)

They may be aluminum bronze, which is a good bearing material.

The spindle bearings in the old Hendey lathes were made of aluminum bronze.

-Bear

Back