Deal or No Deal - Clausing 8530 Mill

I don't know what is up with some of these CL sellers. The go through the effort to post and then don't respond to you. Had a 2 Stage compressor, 5hp motor, 60 gallon tank, 230v come up in pretty good looking shape for $150. New this unit would have been closer to $1k. I sent an email approximately 30 minutes after he posted and got no response. Next day it was pulled.

Prices on the East Coast are considerably better than here on the other side. Here in Washington, you would think that everything is gold plated. Most adds start with "Vintage". Like it is going to go into a museum or something and as such you should be happy to pay their exaggerated price. Of course if I were selling, I would want to get the highest price for my goods, so I understand. But currently I am a buyer and don't care for it.

I don't know what is up with some of these CL sellers. The go through the effort to post and then don't respond to you. Had a 2 Stage compressor, 5hp motor, 60 gallon tank, 230v come up in pretty good looking shape for $150. New this unit would have been closer to $1k. I sent an email approximately 30 minutes after he posted and got no response. Next day it was pulled.

Prices on the East Coast are considerably better than here on the other side. Here in Washington, you would think that everything is gold plated. Most adds start with "Vintage". Like it is going to go into a museum or something and as such you should be happy to pay their exaggerated price. Of course if I were selling, I would want to get the highest price for my goods, so I understand. But currently I am a buyer and don't care for it.
Hah, that, and "Rare!", which to me means they want you to think paying extra is worth it.

Last weekend we were cleaning out our parents house and ended up with stuff that we didn't want and Goodwill wouldn't take. Put it out at the end of the driveway and placed a CL ad as free stuff, and not 15 minutes later, someone pulled up. So, they probably didn't call because it was already sold. While I consider it a bit rude to not let you know, I can see how they may be tired of answering the phone/emails.

Owner did eventually get back to me on a couple of questions and mentioned that extra collets were in the cabinet. Immediately emailed back asking when I could come look at it, no reply as of this morning.

I have a G704, I'm now wondering if this is enough of an upgrade to warrant a 7 hour round trip and the money?

EDIT: I found a post with the dimensions of the 8530 and it's virtually the same size as my 704. Actually, slightly smaller in a couple of places. From the picture, I had the impression that it was about halfway between the 704 and a Bridgeport in size. Looks like it would just duplicate what I already have. Dang.

The G0704 and PM-25 are very similar in working area to a Clausing mill. The main advantage to the Clausing is that it has a knee. Your 704 has a slightly larger table, X and Y travel is also slightly greater on the 704. The Clausing has 2-3" more travel in the Z axis and a little more room spindle to table.

In my opinion the Clausing is a better mill than the Grizzly or PM, but agree that it probably isn't enough of a difference to make the work and cost worthwhile. You would probably be better off looking for something like a Millrite which is about 1/2 way between where you are currently and one of the smaller Bridgeports.

Last edited:
Back