Death Valley here we come

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
My wife is going stir crazy from being cooped up.
We are leaving this morning pulling the Lance travel trailer.
From Chico we are going to Sacramento up Hwy 80 to 395.
I haven’t driven 395 in over 30 years. I remember it being a beautiful drive down the Eastern Sierra
We should stop somewhere around Lone Pine tonight.
We really have no plans.
Anyone have a favorite spot in Death Valley National Park?

As a child I spent several Christmas’s in Death Valley escaping the frozen Alberta winter.
We always camped at a Furnace Creek and used as a home base to explore the valley. Scotty’s Castle, Badwater, Devil’s golf course are all worth seeing.

I used to fly into the Furnace Creek strip and stay at the Inn. The pool there is really the best I’ve experienced...the most incredible hot springs free flowing water. The trip to “racetrack”, where the stones apparently move around at random on the dry lake bed, is a lifetime memory.

Bon voyage!

My wife is going stir crazy from being cooped up.
We are leaving this morning pulling the Lance travel trailer.
From Chico we are going to Sacramento up Hwy 80 to 395.
I haven’t driven 395 in over 30 years. I remember it being a beautiful drive down the Eastern Sierra
We should stop somewhere around Lone Pine tonight.
We really have no plans.
Anyone have a favorite spot in Death Valley National Park?

If you need a campsite, there's a place at the south end of Bishop, right on the highway called Brown's.
I've camped there many times and always have been happy with them.

DavidR8 is right, Furnace Creek is the place to camp in DV.
Scotty's is great to visit, but they had a flash flood in 2015 that did a lot of damage and I believe
it's still closed for repair.
Assuming the road's in good condition, the drive up to Aguereberry Point up in the Panamints is
well worth the drive. Great view from up there. Dantes View on the east side also provides a good
view.
The charcoal kilns at Thorndike is a good side trip off Wildrose Canyon, and if you make the loop
from Emigrant campground all the way down to the Panamint Valley road you'll see some great
scenery. While you're down there, it's not far to Ballarat.
The drive to the Racetrack is well worth in my opinion. The road is maintained gravel, though it gets
washboardy in places. Check with the rangers before you go for road conditions, which is a good
idea generally.
Another place to drive to are the remains of Rhyolite, off Hwy 374.

Here's what Brown's looks like:
Have a great trip. I'm jealous...

IMG_0209.jpeg

Oh wow @Winegrower, those are a bunch of memories and places I'd forgotten. I remember going up to the Panamints with my dad so he could hit the blue hour for the perfect photo.

i have always wanted to see Death Valley in bloom
i generally don't like excessive heat, so i'm sure i'll need to do this in
late fall, spring, or winter

i'm (more than ;)) a little jealous!

Have a great time, take lotsa pictures!!!

Last edited:
I love DV. Wife and I used go there every new years from Ohio to spend week in a tent.

Saline Valley Hot springs is my favorite. Kind of a secret place, may not be on map. Not for shy folks and drive is not for faint of heart. Do your homework before going there.

It has been a few years, but 395 is a nice drive. No suggestions for Death Valley, but there are plenty of places to stop along the way to distract you.

Back