Debrief - rotary table abort

We all have our own writing styles.

I have been a long-term believer in "old stuff". I won't drone on yet again about something called the Lindy Effect as I already have once on this forum, but it does absolutely justify products/ideas that have been in service for a long time on a service life basis. The reasons why that works out as a strong truth of the universe though I believe are entirely separate from the auguring-in of standards and selectivity on both sides of the buyer/seller relationship.

CW
Ha! I like the reference here, but I think most of our old shop stuff is "built to last" because a certain type of individual values it and provides some additional longevity, not necessarily because of its inherent or original value. But I still like the reference to the Lindy Effect...it feels right to me despite the origin of the phrase.

Having just schooled myself on the algebraic measure of the Lindy Effect, I find the Op topic easier to grasp. I like Grizzly - but I like Harbor Freight too. When buying from outfits that deal in Chinesium, it is important to do your homework. One must realize that heavy, precision & repeatable are not so readily obtained from such sources. I have a 6" RT from Grizzly. It's OK & does what I need on my Grizzly combo lathe / mill. Because I don't expect accuracy or precision from it, it does not fail me. I gave away the tailstock without ever opening the box, so I have no feedback there. I have upgraded to a real mill & have dividing heads for that. Worlds apart, really, the old American devises & what is affordable new.

Back