Deburring 101

Highpower

Registered
Registered
Can someone explain the basics regarding deburring tool blades, or have a good web site that does it?

ie. How do you tell the blades apart, and how do you know which to use on any certain material just by looking at them?
Some are ground with the 'v' in the center of the blade and some are offset. Some have a "ball" on the tip, and some have half of the ball ground flat. Some are for steel/aluminum and some for cast iron/brass.
I've got a handful of different blades but once they get out of the bag and mixed together I'm lost in the fog. :(

Well thanks for the link Dave. While the charts are great for describing which blade is for what material and all, it doesn't help me much when I have a handle full of mixed blades. Since none of them have markings as to which # they are, it's impossible to tell them apart since they look so much alike. :(

I guess a simple B-10, E-20, S-350 etc. on the shank (like a drill bit) would be too much to ask for. ::)

I see what you did there.... ;)
Fog lamp -- lol!

BTW, I should not be looking at those tool catalogs! They give me too many ideas about the things I don't have, and now can't live without.
Things like mini scrapers and a swarf pick -- with shovel! BRILLIANT!! :) :) :)

DaveH link=topic=2998.msg21003#msg21003 date=1312576914 said:
Highpower,

Do you know the make?

DaveH
My tool is a "Royal" and I also just bought a bunch of new blades from McMaster - but they are loose in bags so I have no idea of the manufacturer. Common standard & heavy-duty diameters though.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Utidjian link=topic=2998.msg21011#msg21011 date=1312577826 said:
I think that McMaster-Carr usually labels the bag with a number that will match the part number on the invoice... go from there.

You could also download the PDF. One of them has the included angle of the blade type, also LH, RH or neutral, put em in little pill bottles (or whatever) and label them.

There are many styles and makers of blades but the basics are most likely similar.

-DU-
David, you are quite right of course. But that makes the storage area in the back of the handle pretty much useless unless you only ever use one particular blade. It just would have been nice to be able to store a variety of blades in there to keep them handy, and not have to search a shelf on the other side of the shop for a particular blade.

Sometimes (often really) I get some chatter when deburring an edge that just ruins the look of a part (to me). I don't know if it is because the blade is dull, or if it is because I'm using the wrong blade because they are not marked. :(
But if I have to take a few extra steps to look up each blade every time, so be it....

Another problem I run into is changing directions. If I run a long straight edge I can never start right on the corner without the blade digging in. So I start about 1/4" back and run a nice clean chamfer. But when I reverse directions to get that last 1/4" where I started, it digs in and takes a chunk out going the other way. Is that why they have the "left hand" blades???

DaveH link=topic=2998.msg21018#msg21018 date=1312578890 said:
Highpower,

When you bought the blades - did you ask for 3 different types or 4 or 5.

How did they know what to give you.

And I am not laughing :halo: :halo: :halo:

DaveH
I ordered several different blades.
B1 - E350 - B10 - E100 - B20 - E200

Since I only ordered a half of a box each, they take them out of the original boxes and put them into individual marked numbered bags. So I KNOW what is in each bag. BUT... if I want to store one of EACH blade in the handle - some of them look identical and hard to tell apart. I don't have the skill to be able to just LOOK at a blade and tell if one is a 40° angle and another is a 55° angle. :(

Highpower link=topic=2998.msg21019#msg21019 date=1312578975 said:
Another problem I run into is changing directions. If I run a long straight edge I can never start right on the corner without the blade digging in. So I start about 1/4" back and run a nice clean chamfer. But when I reverse directions to get that last 1/4" where I started, it digs in and takes a chunk out going the other way. Is that why they have the "left hand" blades???

Why not flip the part around and maintain the same angle of approach?

DaveH link=topic=2998.msg21022#msg21022 date=1312580092 said:
Highpower,

I am assuming you have looked at pictures of blades.Like this one.

http://www.royalprod.com/content/files/products/deburring_blades.pdf

Doesn't it help at all, because you are saying they look very very simular.

DaveH
Dave,
Yes I suppose it would be best to print that out and post it in the shop for reference. Having the proper direction the blade can be used in will be helpful.

Tony,
I have tried that approach as well but I guess I'm just not getting the angle right. Sometimes I can make a first pass on a sharp edge and it trims smoothly. But if I try to make a second pass to clean up little burrs left on one side or the other, it will then chatter. Maybe I'm just not holding my tongue at the right angle ~ I don't know. Just one of those things where you wish you had an "old master" around to show you the ropes first hand. :wowed:

the blades ground on center are bi-directional.. you can use them clockwise or counter clockwise..

if your looking at the ground side/edge, the end of the blade that goes in the arbor is pointing down.,

if the high side/point of the edge is on the right, that is for clockwise use.

if the high side/point of the edge is on the left, its a counterclockwise blade..

only styles i've ever used was the b10 b10A and b20

Highpower link=topic=2998.msg21061#msg21061 date=1312600046 said:
DaveH link=topic=2998.msg21022#msg21022 date=1312580092 said:
Highpower,

I am assuming you have looked at pictures of blades.Like this one.

http://www.royalprod.com/content/files/products/deburring_blades.pdf

Doesn't it help at all, because you are saying they look very very simular.

DaveH
Dave,
Yes I suppose it would be best to print that out and post it in the shop for reference. Having the proper direction the blade can be used in will be helpful.

Tony,
I have tried that approach as well but I guess I'm just not getting the angle right. Sometimes I can make a first pass on a sharp edge and it trims smoothly. But if I try to make a second pass to clean up little burrs left on one side or the other, it will then chatter. Maybe I'm just not holding my tongue at the right angle ~ I don't know. Just one of those things where you wish you had an "old master" around to show you the ropes first hand. :wowed:

i call these deburring tools routaburr's... i have one out in the garage, i'll take some pics tomorrow and see if i can relay how they work.. its pretty simple.. if your deburring say a 1/2" dia hole.. lay the tool away from you at about a 5deg. angle, also lay the handle to the right about 5deg. and drag the blade in a clockwise direction holding both angle fairly consistent.. move your whole hand/wrist while doing it, its not a twisting type motion, its more like stirring ice cream with a wooden spoon motion..

to add, use caution with this tool, it can and will lay you wide open to the bone..

Back