Deciding On A Plasma Cutter

roadie33

Active User
Registered
I've been looking over the wide range of Plasma Cutters for sale now days and am on overload. I don't plan on cutting anything over 1/2" and don't want to spend over $600 for one. So Miller and Lincoln are out of my range. My only use will be small jobs with steel and aluminum, and no long heavy cuts. Mostly 1/8" to 1/2" max.
I have 220 1 phase, so that is not an issue.
I've checked out all kinds of Tube Vids and see a lot of info about the Lotos LTP5000D, Eastwood Versa Cut 40, also looked at the Everlast 50 but it is on the high side of dollar range.
Are there any others to look at in that price range?
Would like the unit have Pilot Arc.

Anyone have some suggestions about what to look at and experience with some of the Hobby type Plasma Cutters.

With plasma cutters it is like most things, you get what you pay for. A brand new plasma under $600 isn't going to be much of a plasma. I would keep your eye out for a used thermal dynamics, Hobart etc. They are more new, but around what you want to spend used.

I have been looking for the last 3 months and any of those that show up for sale, they still want near new price for it.
I just can't see paying $900 to $1200 for one that will only see occasional use.

Personally, I have not been able to justify plasma for occasional use.

However, I have found that oxy-acetylene is cost effective, for me.
It can provide double duty as a heat source for brazing, loosening stuck nuts and even bending.
oxy-propane should be even less expensive.

But it does not help you with cutting aluminum.

-brino

Buying a plasma cutter was a game-changer for me.

I had a client who refused to pay for a rear frame piece and wanted me to fabricate bitsa to patch the frame of his beloved Land Rover Defender 90.

I was badly stuck in the mud with the job and told the wife I was gonna buy a plasma. She said I could do so, but only if the current job would pay for it.

The next thing I know, I'm done with the job and paid for the unit three or four times over.

I have a Longevity brand Chi-Com 3-in-1, stick/tig/plasma cutter.

I've had it well past the five year point and the only problem I had with it was my own stupidity-BUT, they overnighted a new circuit board to me and had me back in business.

I can't say enough good about it.

Now for the bad. I bought a used 'Merican made plasma that after the third or fourth trip to be fixed, it is now an expensive door stop. Part of why I buy new if it something I truly need to have work immediately after purchase.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I've used one of the cheap knock offs from ebay for 4 years without a hiccup, its used in a full time repair shop and has been used and abused, it hasn't been used daily but a few times a week and the consumables are available online. Just be aware unless buying blue or red you might as well get one of the cheaper knock offs because that's what your getting with an Eastwood, etc. only your paying a little extra for the brand sticker on the side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasma-Cutt...864495?hash=item19cf67bc2f:g:QlEAAOSw1S9Wb-Ag

Believe it or not I've used one of the cheap knock offs from ebay for 4 years without a hiccup, its used in a full time repair shop and has been used and abused, it hasn't been used daily but a few times a week and the consumables are available online. Just be aware unless buying blue or red you might as well get one of the cheaper knock offs because that's what your getting with an Eastwood, etc. only your paying a little extra for the brand sticker on the side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasma-Cutt...864495?hash=item19cf67bc2f:g:QlEAAOSw1S9Wb-Ag

I looked at that Colossal Tech Cut50D also, but it only has 1 yr warranty and does not have the rating the LOTOS has.
I've looking at the Eastwood Versa cut 40 and with a 3 year warranty for $499 it seems to be the best bang for buck so far.

Anyone have one of these Plasma Cutters that can comment on them?

Personally, I have not been able to justify plasma for occasional use.

However, I have found that oxy-acetylene is cost effective, for me.
It can provide double duty as a heat source for brazing, loosening stuck nuts and even bending.
oxy-propane should be even less expensive.

But it does not help you with cutting aluminum.

-brino

You are correct brino on the oxy-acety setup. I've had one for 25 years and use it quite a bit.
But as you stated, it does not do Aluminum.
That is one of the reasons I need the Plasma Cutter. That and also to do some body panel work on a Dodge 1500. Specifically the rear fenders.

So far I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.
LOTOS LTP5000D $399
Eastwood Versa-cut40 $499 or the 60 $699
Everlast Supercut50P $649

Hi Roadie,

It sounds like you use oxy-acetylene more than I do.

I hear you. My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 just hit 445,000 km. (~276,500 miles) this week. It seems there is never-ending bodywork to be done. Originally mine was dark green......I am considering just going random greens and browns for an "ad-hoc" camo look now, with minimal filler, just trying to stop the rust.....

Please update us if/when you make the leap to plasma.
I have the Everlast TIG 250ex and everything with that went well (cost, delivery, minor support of getting a PDF manual and quality seems great)

-brino

I got the AHP AlphaTig 200x last month and love it. After I got the gas situation sorted that is. Supply house give me C25 instead of straight Argon. Aluminum welds looked horrible until I got it swapped out.
Since then it has run great. I used it to make my new welding cart out of 1" square steel and it welded it great.
But now I am looking to get a Plasma cutter to do some other projects. Tired of using cutoff wheels, chop saw and Torch to cut with. Also the lighter gauge steel tends to warp to much with the torch.
I can't afford to buy one of the BIG name Plasma cutters like everyone keeps suggesting. Unless they want to donate some extra $ they have. :big grin:
And if they do come up on Craigslist or local paper they want almost a new price for it.
I am sure some of the other members on here had to be Frugal in there purchases for big items, so I hope one will chime in with their experience on one of the listed Plasma Cutters I have narrowed my search down to.
From all of the videos I've watched on them, I still would like a members experience because you can make anything look great in a video.

Back