Deckel knock-off tool grinding

Larry$

Registered
Registered
I have a Shars knock off of the Deckel. I'd like to find a good site showing how to do all the operations it is capable of.
Suggestions?
If you have one of these machines, I'd like to hear your experiences with it.

Find the Deckel S0 and S1 manuals online, they are very educational. After that Stefan and Robin Renzetti are your youtube options.

I have one of those also. It is really a time sucker! I am geometrically challenged so you may do much better. It works well.

I have one of those also. It is really a time sucker! I am geometrically challenged so you may do much better. It works well.
Lol, “geometrically challenged”. I think I’m in that same boat. If I ran it more I’d be more comfortable with it. I had like 10 or 15 endmills I needed to sharpen so I got a good grasp on the idea. But then it was months before I needed to use it again and it took a bit to remember. I know I’ve not made my $$ back, but it has saved my bacon enough times that I wouldn’t get rid of it. Many a project would have been dead without it. I think maybe the Darex style of sharpener would be more straight forward but this clone can do anything within its envelope the Darex can do. It just takes a clear picture in my head to get there.

Last edited:
Lol, “geometrically challenged”. I think I’m in that same boat. If I ran it more I’d be more comfortable with it. I had like 10 or 15 endmills I needed to sharpen so I got a good grasp on the idea. But then it was months before I needed to use it again and it took a bit to remember. I know I’ve not made my $$ back, but it has saved my bacon enough times that the I wouldn’t get rid of it. Many a project would have been dead without it. I think maybe the Darex style of sharpener would be more straight forward but this clone can do anything within its envelope the Darex can do. It just takes a clear picture in my head to get there.
I plan to try using my grinder to regrind my 14N Jacobs Chuck jaws. Wish me luck! I think it will be just the trick.

I plan to try using my grinder to regrind my 14N Jacobs Chuck jaws. Wish me luck! I think it will be just the trick.
Woa, cool. Please take some pic’s of your setup.

There is so much this thing can do if you can wrap your head around it’s 4 axis. The only thing I wish it had was more room on the x axis beyond the casting that holds the end of the main pivot rod, whatever the thing is called. I think Robin R did a mod to his for that.

I used mine with the diamond wheel to make some custom metric tool steel dog point screws. It’s very useful to be able to grind shallow cutter angles for brass so it doesn’t dig in. Also to grind the cutter with no dish to take a bushing to clearance height. Then reface the cutter back to dish for standard milling. Progress, not perfection.

I get weird with my Shars Deckel (Sheckel?) grinder.

For example, I rigged up this:
IMAG0775.jpg

To make this.
IMAG0779.jpg

Here, I rigged up a radius grinder to sharpen my Rennsteig hand scraper. You can see the brass tit that I installed to mark center. I actually chucked the axis post in the lathe and drilled to locate center. Also Kipp levers :grin:
IMAG0770.jpg

(Sheckel?) LOL!

i made a holder for my scraper like Stefan’s. Sorry, no pix so guess it didn’t happen :(

Thanks guys. I had struggled with the clamp on the main rod not holding. I had to twist it so hard that I was sure it would break. In the process it would always move out of position. I finally took it apart. The cast iron clamp was .0045" bigger than the shaft. The slit in the clamp was too short to allow the iron to flex enough to take that much clearance up. I pondered what to do to fix it. Had almost decided to bore and sleeve it. That would require some interesting fixturing and be risky given my skill level. Then the KISS light came on, just extend the slit. It worked. I don't know why it took me so long to decide to try the mod. I've always modified almost every tool I own. (Not to the extent that Robin does!)

Yesterday I set up like Stefan to grind the end of some end mills. Worked.

C Bag "progress, not perfect" just what I did, finally. "The only thing I wish it had was more room on the x axis beyond the casting" I agree with that...
NC Rick "Time sucker" And how!
Pontiac - Nice adaptations.
ub27... I'll look for those manuals, again, thanks for the remind.

Back