Deep Drilling Question

jaychris

Active User
Registered
I need drill a hole through some 3/4" nylon rod. .5" diameter hole, 16" long.

I don't want to spend the money on a gun drill, but I can't think of other options. This is the first time I've encountered the need to drill a hole this deep and I'm not sure the right way to go about it.

There was a thread on here a while ago about homemade drills for deep hole drilling. It discussed making a drill bit out of drill rod with one end ground in a particular way and it sounded like it is quite accurate. I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here for you.

There was a thread on here a while ago about homemade drills for deep hole drilling. It discussed making a drill bit out of drill rod with one end ground in a particular way and it sounded like it is quite accurate. I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here for you.
thanks!

What is the application and how accurate does it need to be? Is tubing available that would fill your need?

What is the application and how accurate does it need to be? Is tubing available that would fill your need?

I'm making a replacement part for a pepperoni stuffer - it doesn't need to be super accurate, but it does need to be food grade, which is why I am using a specific nylon rod. The OD needs to be .75 and then I'll turn the majority down to .5" to create a flange. The through hole doesn't need to be any particular diameter - the current (broken) part was 3/8", so I figured I would do the same.

I have not been able to find any nylon tube that fit those dimensions.

I need drill a hole through some 3/4" nylon rod. .5" diameter hole, 16" long.

I don't want to spend the money on a gun drill, but I can't think of other options. This is the first time I've encountered the need to drill a hole this deep and I'm not sure the right way to go about it.
Electrictions Drills

Electrictions Drills
Sorry for my bad reply, my network server crashed. A cheap way to do this is with an electrians drill bit. They come in various dia. and lengths.

How you holding this puppy?

Can you make a holder out if drill rod or the like and use wood spade drill.

Me again,I checked this website;woodshopbits.com and they have #WOO4185 1/2 dia. x18" long on sale for $18.09. Hope this helps.

Back