Deep Drilling Question

I need drill a hole through some 3/4" nylon rod. .5" diameter hole, 16" long.

I don't want to spend the money on a gun drill, but I can't think of other options. This is the first time I've encountered the need to drill a hole this deep and I'm not sure the right way to go about it.

I routinely make extra long drills from a piece of rod and a jobber length drill bit. I turn the shank of the drill bit down and bore a matching hole in the rod. Early on, I used to braze them but I have found that Super glue works just as well. I have never had one fail in use.

Drilling a hole that deep in Nylon ( or Delrin) will most likely cause a problem for you though. It would be virtually impossible to keep the hole straight over that length.

McMaster Carr sells an FDA compliant Nylon tubing, 3/4" O.D. x 1/4" I.D. With the 1/4" pilot hole, you stand a much better chance of keeping the hole centered. http://www.mcmaster.com/#8628k35/=11cdvay

I need drill a hole through some 3/4" nylon rod. .5" diameter hole, 16" long.

I don't want to spend the money on a gun drill, but I can't think of other options. This is the first time I've encountered the need to drill a hole this deep and I'm not sure the right way to go about it.

Google Irwin speedbor bit 3/8 x 16 long model 88706 $6.21,
jimsehr

Back