Define forum guidelines please

Pitchfire

Active User
Registered
Mood ring cavet: I say this with a calm cool head without any negative emotion so don't read anything more than good intent into this...

My post was locked down and I can respect and understand that (kind of). Based upon the rules/guidelines of this forum however it should have been fine. Discussing something that may be illegal somewhere is specifically inferred in both.

All firearms are illegal somewhere. What standard of legality are we holding ourselves to here? CA? U.S. Fed/ATF? Is it illegal to discuss form, function, and machining something that may be illegal? Why?

I realize that you are straining not to define it for precisely this reason, but I would like to know where the line is so I don't have to have egg on my face for running afoul of it. Hopefully you can understand that.

So my advice is this: Pick a standard, advertise it, and stick to it. That will be the only way to avoid conflict.

"This is an area that is too dark into the gray area of illegal firearms, or exploitation of existing firearms law. This is a hobbyist site, although one with a gunsmithing sub-forum. If you are interested in machining your own firearms that skirt or break existing firearms regulations, you should do so at your own risk, and without the involvement of this forum."

Likewise I have to point out the strange (to me) bias of the Moderator Edit in that it infers that if what I linked is legal than it shouldn't be? So if they are legal but you think they shouldn't be, you intend on eliminating their discussion here. Again, I just think it's important for open honesty regarding rules and guidelines to keep them from being arbitrary assertions of one individuals will which this really seems to be.

Help me read that any other way than "If those are legal, I don't think they should be, so I'm not going to allow you or perhaps anyone else to discuss them here."

We dont need a set of guidelines to know we should not take a dump on the f
kitchen floor of a friends house.. Should be just as obvious that this isnt the right forum for what you were wanting to discuss..I'd quit reading this forum if it were open to that nonsense. I moderate on another gunforum and couldnt have said it better than what the moderator here has already said--

"This is an area that is too dark into the gray area of illegal firearms, or exploitation of existing firearms law. This is a hobbyist site, although one with a gunsmithing sub-forum. If you are interested in machining your own firearms that skirt or break existing firearms regulations, you should do so at your own risk, and without the involvement of this forum."

Last edited:
The rules are set, we all go by them. As for stopping confrontation we just lock it up. This Forum will not allow anything that can be misconstrued as illegal or harmful in any way to a fellow member. If we see it as such it will be delt with. Play nice people, the world is watching.

"Billy G" :nono:

Gun and weapon threads are a very touchy subject and the discussion of silencers, flash hiders noise reducin equipment ot other possibly illegal uses are not a good topic for a public forum. Lawfull uses such as hunting, marksmanship competition and militaria are different because they donot foster any neutrality toward a possible illegal or immoral use. When choosing topics consider the legal, moral and ethical impact your opinion may have. The choice to live on or over the edge is a personal one and is made in the privacy of your home and in your own mind, topics that cause dissent or support illegal activities will not be alllowed, positive or negative. That way it is fair for everyone concerned.
Bob

To quote my 3 year old "that's just stupid." Oh well, your party. Cowering our way into a future without guns is how I see it, but I'll shut up and let the majority have their way, unpalatable though it may be.:whiteflag: now where do I turn my reamers in at Mr Man?

Jeremy;

When you first open the Gun section, before you pick a thread to read, there is a new Friendly Reminder that you should read. We are not against you.

"Billy G" :))

All they are saying is not here. This site is full of good folks and great info.

All they are saying is not here. This site is full of good folks and great info.

Purpose of Forum
The Gunsmithing & Firearms forum is for discussions about using machine tools and machinist skills in legal gun & firearm fabrication and maintenance, not the politics and policies of gun ownership and gun control. It is not the purpose of the forum to discuss gun control, the rights of citizens to bear arms, or any illegal or immoral use of weapons or firearms.

Thank you Nelson. That I can abide by. For the record though I feel my post was well within the guidelines that existed when I posted it and personally feel very strongly that we should be asserting our rights positively and not cowering to those who would strip them from us.

Many here clearly forget that "illegal" is a silly and arbitrary word misused in this context far too often. Machine guns are legal in the U.S. as are silencers etc... they are class III but legal. Every new firearm requires adhering to some process to acquire it, in that regard Class III firearms are no different, only the process is different. A great many forums discuss concealed carry and yet it is illegal to those that don't follow the special process in the vast majority of states to get a ccw license. This is a machining forum that should only be concerned with the machining processes involved, I for one think it very sad that it chooses to involve itself politically by choosing it's own arbitrary lines to draw around our rights.

Enough said...

Back