Definitely OT... Found a Drill Press that was "stolen" 6 years ago on CL

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey Guys

Really strange happening today.
I know I haven't had a chance to tell the positive part of the story of why I am glad I stored my shop instead of selling or parting out. I still plan to tell it.
For now, I'll say that it was a really hard time of my life, and didn't know if I'd ever have a shop again.

As it turns out, I am GLAD I stored them, and "kept the dream alive".

Well, a funny little addition to this story I never told. All this tragedy was attached to a divorce, where I lost a lot of my shop (and personal belongings) to a very unhappy ex who threw much of it away on me.

Well I just found my old two head Walker Turner drill press on Craigslist! Hah hah!! He is in the same town, and must have acquired it at the recycling center way back then! It looks exactly how I left it.
I wrote the guy and he said someone is already trying to come get it. He is selling it for less than I bought it for, and that was pretty cheap!

I'll let you know what happens... I hope I don't sound whiney or angry, as I am not angry anymore, but had to share it here since you guys appreciate tools and machines like me! Hah

Bernie

Hey Guys

I know I haven't had a chance to tell the positive part of the story of why I am glad I stored my shop instead of selling or parting out. I still plan to tell it.
For now, I'll say that it was a really hard time of my life, and didn't know if I'd ever have a shop again.

Well, a funny little addition to this story I never told. All this tragedy was attached to a divorce, where I lost a lot of my shop (and personal belongings) to a very unhappy ex who threw much of it away on me.

Well I just found my old two head Walker Turner drill press on Craigslist! Hah hah!! He is in the same town, and must have acquired it at the recycling center way back then! It looks exactly how I left it.
I wrote the guy and he said someone is already trying to come get it. He is selling it for less than I bought it for, and that was pretty cheap!

I'll let you know what happens... I hope I don't sound whiney or angry, as I am not angry anymore, but had to share it here since you guys appreciate tools and machines like me! Hah

Bernie
Well good on you:)) It will be like seeing an old friend again and I know what you mean about the ex.:angry:
God bless
Bill

If you really want it back, make the other buyer an offer he can't refuse. I can also relate to the ex, mine called the cops when I was picking up some of my tools and machines. Had my lawyer's card in my pocket, told the cop it was a civil matter, not criminal. Cop calls lawyer, comes back to me and says, have a good day. Got to keep the stuff but got hosed in the end anyway. End of rant.

Hey Guys

Bernie
You should tell the guy that's selling the drill press your story. He might just tell the other buyer to pound sand and sell it back to you instead. I know I would. I remember when I got reacquainted with my tools after a long 8 yrs of seperation when they were in storage at my folks house and I finally got another place of my own where i could finally get my shop setup again. It was a happy day, when I finally got it all back under my own roof and started to set up shop again.

My exes boyfriend at the time got his grubby paws on some of my good hand tools and micrometers and stuff. I only found out later when I had the chance to go through some of my tool boxes. He didn't dare take any of my big stuff, He knew I would find out, and that I had no of fear going to jail to put a beating on his sorry @ss.:lmao:

Marcel

Thanks Guys..

Well, despite my friendly email, mentioning the story, and wanting to pay full price (which wasn't much anyway) he STILL sold them to someone else.

You know, I am not a buddhist, but those buddhists have a lot of intelligent things to say about diminishing "suffering" and managing "pain" and anger etc.
Quick explanation (trust me it's quick and ON topic).... PAIN is what you can't avoid. I smashed my finger. OUCH. That's PAIN.
"GALDERN IT why did I smash my finger? What am I an idiot? What if I do it again WAHHH" That's SUFFERING. Not necessary.

So, here goes. I didn't need that drill press anymore. That guy is a jerk, and that's his jerky life. It is complete chance that I found it on Craigslist like that, but I don't need it anymore. I just wanted to feel like I was recovering something. I had written them off long ago. So I have no reason to get all bent out of shape (which I DID for an hour or so last night) just because this strange chance came up.

That's what I am telling myself every time I get wound up about it last night and today. And there ARE moments. There are some miserable people in the world, and I don't have to join them unnecessarily today.

There you go! The drill press I acquired since then is 100x the machine. So onward to nicer drill presses in the future!

Bernie

Better tools and better women, Two things to look forward to:thumbsup:

Thanks Toolman... As I'm sure we all know, it takes a little work to keep that attitude sometimes!

Bill... Hah hhah hah!! No kidding! But I'll make sure not to mix the two together! Although I do plan on teaching my daughter to handle tools hah hah.

It is a better day today for it all.

Bernie

I think I saw that ad too. What a bugger. Oh well, at the end of the day, they're just possessions. As along as you're happy and safe, who gives a **** about a douchecanoe like the seller?

I'm keeping a firm hold on my woman, it took me a very long time to find her and I haven't seen another one like her since :) Plus she comes from a part of the world where women beat their menfolk with machetes, which helps keep me on the straight and narrow :yikes:

edit: ooh, didn't know this site censored naughty words. Replaces * with faeces instead.

Back