Delta 1944 DP-220 Drill Press Bearing Help???

seagiant

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I have this drill press and would like to put new bearings in it.

They are a specialty bearing with an extended and slotted inner race, made that way so the quill rod can be changed out with other rods for use as a router, shaper, ect.

There are available bearing made for this DP by a private company but pretty $$$!

I was thinking to buy bearings that were the same OD, but bigger ID and then machining a sleeve pressed in to make it like the OEM.

Was looking for anyone that has rebuilt one on these Drill Presses, Delta made thousands of these for decades.

Look up Hammerscale technologies for the correct bearings. Also make sure you measure the O.D. of the old bearings as these are not a "one size fits all" proposition. Some will vary by a few thousandths one way or the other. Gary is happy to help out getting you the right size for YOUR Delta DP. I rebuilt the one I essentially only have the cost of the parts in it and after making an idler pulley assembly to slow it down I use it for drilling metal. Great DP with the split front allowing tension adjustment to remove any slop in the quill.

Hi,
Thanks, Hammerscale was the company I was talking about.

I went ahead and just replaced the old OEM Bearings, with some regular NSK Brand, and...

It runs smooth as silk.

I do not care about, changing to other shafts, just want it to use as a DP.

The bearing in the top pulley is still nice and smooth, so will leave that for now.

Thanks again!

Hey seagiant, curious if you still have the old bearings. I’m restoring a 1944 dp220 now. I restored one of the old bearings but the second one is toast. I would like to restore another original bearing. Let me know if you have, and what you want for it. Thanks.

Back