Delta (2000?) 20” drill press questions, parts availability and worth?

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi folks, there is a used delta 20”DP available near me. It needs work. I like the idea that it is variable speed but wonder about the reliability of the variable pulley system and particularly if replacement belts are available? I think these machines have the variator belt and a serpentine reduct belt as well. I think I can fix most stuff I can see but if some critical parts are unobtainable the machine would be far less appealing to me.
thank you for sharing any input or experience!
rick

I don't know the answer about the belts, but it's hard to imagine that the belts are unique
to the machine.

What repairs does the machine need?

Worth whatever it is worth to you.

How worn is it? Worn or damaged machine tools are usually scrap value, can you run it? That will tell you more than anything.

John

A great thing about having a lathe and mill is in making the unobtainable. A 20” drill press ought to be desirable and worth fixing up, seems to me.

Thanks folks! I emailed the owner haven’t heard back. I can only see photos. I think I could fix or make most items and it would be a project I would enjoy. If I can’t get the belts there isn’t much it would be good for. The one for sale also has the optional power feed. I don’t “NEED” it but would enjoy it. It would replace the 15” made In Taiwan Delta I originally purchased for my father back in the mid 80’s which is good but has the typical “V”-belt selector pulleys.

It sold so it isn’t an issue anymore. I didn’t need it and would have likely bought it so I’m kinda relieved.

Back