Delta DP300 Benchtop Drill Press Replacement Motor?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looks like my Delta's motor's start cap melted and its gooey guts found their way into the motor, all over the field windings. To boot, I also found 4 of the 8 stator lacing cords broken. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to try cleaning it up, relacing it (I've never done that), and getting new star cap. I did look around for a replacement 1/3hp motor but can't find anything that would fit the existing motor mount or 0.550" diameter pulley. From my measurements it's not a NEMA motor and metric doesn't line up either. Anyone replace a motor on one of these small benchtop presses and what motor did you go with? I'd love a floor drill press but everything I see around the NJ area is pretty beat up and new ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Thanks.

I bet your motor can be saved- clean it as best you can with a mild cleaner like Coleman camp fuel or lighter fluid and replace the melted cap. You might be able to use some strong string to replace the missing lacing if you can fish it thru the openings
I'm guessing your motor might be a permanent split cap type (also called capacitor run) motor and the caps on those are powered continuously whenever the motor is on; they SPLAT when they fail LOL
-M

Last edited:
Oh yeah, big Splat! haha I've seen some conflicting info on proper lacing cordage alternatives. I have 550 paracord inner strings I could use but unsure if they'd simply melt. A local motor dealer and repair shop couldn't help on where to get cordage but wouldn't sell me 3' either.

I think old fashioned cotton string would work just fine. All they had in the olden days
If the motor is getting hot enough to burn string you've got other issues to worry about

Back