Delta miter saw help?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I have an older Delta 34-080 power miter saw. This saw has been a very nice unit for many years, until recently.
While using it, I did a dummer and pressed the power switch while the blade was in contact with the wood. The motor stalled & buzzed loudly.. Maybe coincidence, but it seems that ever since that event the motor has sounded poorly (struggling) on starting the blade, and it no longer had that sweet smooth running sound that it had before. Also the blade brake no longer stops the blade, only slows it..
I pulled the brushes out to check them and they seem to be fine. I have not been able to find a repair manual for it, only user manual.
What might be the cause of this condition? How does the blade brake system work on these units?
Thanks!

Delta referred to the saw you have as a "power miter box". There is an owner's manual complete with a parts breakdown on the Vintage Machinery website. It also has a small trouble shooting section. Unfortunately the manuals for the power miter boxes don't all show up by model number. You have to use the filter to narrow the selection to only power miter boxes, then search through the manuals presented to see if it covers your model.

Here's an example. I don't believe the model 34-080 is mentioned until you get to the parts diagram near the rear of the manual.

I'd think that when the power switch is released, that the back EMF from the motor is discharged either by just shorting it out or discharging it into a resistance. I have a Makita unit that looks much the same, one that starts fine, but the braking is intermittent, I'd suspect the switch being the problem.

did you check the tiny belt as it has teeth on it and i have tore many belts up

did you check the tiny belt as it has teeth on it and i have tore many belts up
Yes, actually the belt was pretty well chewed up. I have since replaced the belt and the saw cuts very nicely again. The brake works but not like it used to, well enough though.

good i have been a delta and rockwell and porter cable man for years and still have a serious collection of still in the box brand new saws i have owned many miter saws and still say the old cast iron delta was the best as it was totally adjustable it used to be a great company the worm gear trim saw and gear driven belt sander and bayonet saw still were the best lol les

Back