Designing a wood bench for a lathe

You can grind off one side of the washer to a D shape to get you going...

Seems too easy. :) Thanks for mentioning it! That should work fine.

I thought of grinding, but only thought about trying to keep them round for some reason. Needed to think outside of the disk. :)

Hmmm... Apparently, washers for 1/2" bolts are just that size. As standards go, I guess it could be worse.

Since I have a lathe.... Any reason not to mount it up without washers, put a stack of them on a bolt, and turn them to fit?

Got the machine cleaned up, lubricated, and spent a little time getting acquainted with the controls. Everything feels smooth and there's a thin coat of oil on all the moving parts now. There wasn't too much of the thick grease on it, and what was there cleaned up without too much trouble.

No reason I can think of.

I stopped to grab the right length bolts and thought of the drawers for "special" hardware. I found some M12 washers that look about right and fit over the 1/2" bolts fine. If that doesn't work for some reason, I have a couple options, thanks guys. Now to get this thing set up so I can make some chips..

Wanna come on over and redo my Logan like that? Much better than what I did.

Thanks! It's a bit of a drive from Utah though. :)

And I'm not in a rush to hand tap another half dozen 1/2-13 holes. It was SO tempting to get the impact driver out, but my luck I'd break the tap. The 3/8-24 wasn't bad, but those bigger ones were a pain. Couldn't have had anything to do with my POS Harbor Freight taps.. Really need to buy some better taps.. And drills.... :)

Thanks! It's a bit of a drive from Utah though. :)

And I'm not in a rush to hand tap another half dozen 1/2-13 holes. It was SO tempting to get the impact driver out, but my luck I'd break the tap. The 3/8-24 wasn't bad, but those bigger ones were a pain. Couldn't have had anything to do with my POS Harbor Freight taps.. Really need to buy some better taps.. And drills.... :)
Keep you eyes peeled for auctions. That is my #1 source for taps and cutting tools.
Then again I don't know the level of industrial type businesses or sales in SLC.

After way more work than I expected, lots of crawling around under the bench, sitting on cold concrete adjusting leveling screws, then leveling the lathe and swearing at the machinist level....

Oh, and swearing at the change gears I had to remove to get one of the bolts in... There was a fair bit of swearing....

20180217_004131.jpg

Topped off the oil, really low in the apron... Lubed all the things, ran some tests and experimented with my indicator holder. Tomorrow I make chips. Too tired to feel safe running the machine tonight. I'll do a 2 collar test and verify everything is straight as well.

"Tomorrow I make chips."

Anticipation !

Not to be a downer but do you plan to site the lathe in that position on the table? Its sitting sort of way back from the edge and I wonder if your back will thank you for that.

Back