Dewalt air compressors at Tractor Supply good or junk?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Tractor Supply has two Dewalt air compressors 25% off for Black Friday (through 11/28) which makes the prices quite appealing.

Tractor Supply Dewalt compressors

30 gallon portable 1.6hp 5.3cfm @ 90psi, max 155 psi, belt driven V-twin oil lubricated pump. 75dB Sale price $375

60 gallon stationary 3.7hp 11.5cfm @ 90psi, max 155psi, belt driven inline 2 cylinder oil lubricated pump. 80 dB Sale price $419

I've got a little 6 gallon pancake compressor 2.6cfm @ 90psi that has been doing the job, but I've been eyeing something bigger for quite some time. I was considering a California air tools 2 hp, but this 30 gallon Dewalt is almost 1/2 the price, same performance and only 5 dB louder (which I know is like 1/2 again as loud). The stationary of course blows them both away, but will be a much bigger headache to get into place, and will require running lines vs wheeling it over. Still at 200lbs the stationary is light enough that I could get it into place.

My biggest concern is the oil lubed, is this an issue? Seems like most of the higher end are oil less these days.

Are these decent light duty compressors or am likely to regret getting one? If I've been getting away with a 6 gallon pancake which I think tells you the kinds of demands I put on air in the shop.

I have a friend that has the 60 gallon version, it would not be workable for me, but for him it works great.

I’m my experience oil is way better. I bought an oil less 80 gallon and it stopped compressing air. It was under warranty and they wouldn’t fix it. I didn’t know that the oil less have plastic pistons and the air filter wasn’t cleaning the intake air good enough. This was a craftsman about 15 years ago. Idk if plastic pistons are common in all oil less compressors. I’ve got a ingersol rand with a Honda engine that I bought right after that. It has never given me any problems. I shut the gas off and let it run itself out. 1-2 pulls. I have worked it hard. Arc gouging for days.
I bought an electric porter cable from tractor supply this year. So far it’s been great. Very quiet too. I am an oil guy. Plus the big industrial ones run in oil if that’s worth anything.

I've been looking at the small one for a while - the recent online reviews have not been good. I'm looking more towards oil free, since the plasma torch wants clean air...

A good friend bought an oilless from Craftsman years ago. Early in the movement. It died too soon to suit him, and he asked me to look at it.

His model had no piston pin at all, period, none. The piston and connecting rod were one piece, and oscillated in the bore, following the crank, NOT the cylinder.
To make this "work", the piston ring was a flexible, cupped, high-heat?? treated plastic/paper gizmo.

Designed to fail, built in obsolescence. First time in my young life I saw EXACTLY where industry and commerce were moving.

I cannot express in strong enough terms- Do not waste your money on ANY oilless compressor, unless you are a trim carpenter running low consumption nail guns.

I bought an oil less one as my first real 60 gallon compressor. Got about 5 years out of it before it failed. Same deal the piston is some sort of membrane and stopped moving air. Bought an oiled one and working fine for 18 years now.

Buy once, cry once...

We built many as we wanted industrial grade but could not afford it.

All worked well but needed bigger.

Finally bought real one, 7.5 hp with all bells and whistles, it will out live me.

Look at ag industrial supply places, TSC is okay but still retail or consumer grade.

Ours was about same cost as similar unit ordered from TSC, we almost bought the TSC one but decided to do homework.

Found much better unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I bought a 30 gal. oilless several years ago, selected on the basis of oilless operation and a quieter operating level. The sound level is incredibly load, much more so than my piston compressor. The compressor is located in my basement shop and I turn the compressor off when charged to avoid being startled out of bed when it runs in the middle of the night. Fortunately, my compressed air usage is fairly low so this works but it is a PITA. I wouldn't buy another oilless compressor.

I tried a scroll air compressor, for about 3 weeks, it was quiet and well made, it could have been unit sizing, the fact it was a scroll and maybe other issues, but it did not work out for me. It was never able to keep up and there was a huge moisture issue, another factor was it was limited to 135 psi. It had a very similar out rating, as the piston type I ended up buying for the shop. But the piston type better it my needs.

Thank you, I think I'm going to go with the 30 gallon. It will be a step forward, and be enough to make it worth starting to run some air lines. Still 120v and mobile. A mobile compressor will always be useful.

The 60 gallon unit seems like it falls short for the investment in time and effort. A 5hp will require all the same set up, wiring, air lines etc but long term would be more satisfactory if I need more than 5 cfm.

Kind of funny how well the oil less have been marketed. I was under the impression oil lubricated was "cheap" but turns out that is actually a positive feature.

Back