Dial bore gauge

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi, I’m new to the site and machining in general. I have run into something with my new Mitutoyo dial bore gauge. I believe it came with the wrong dial indicator head or either I’m looking at it wrong. I can’t get it setup right no matter what I do. The gauge maxes out its travel and seems to be operating backwards from what I think I should see. Hoping someone could clarify this for me. Thanks in advance

Dial bore gages usually have a very small range depending graduations . The indicator can be moved up or down to achieve what you want . A pic would help as always .

Yes sir, I understand that but I believe the gauge is operating backwards from how it should. The small dial that reads the revolutions starts out maxed at 5 and decreases as the plunger goes in. Makes no sense. Shouldn’t it be the other way around with a dial bore gauge?

Not knowing what gage it is makes it hard to visualize . How much range does it have and have you used them before ?

I’m new to dial bore gauges in general but not a total moron when it comes to indicators. I may contact MSC tomorrow and see what they have to say as well. Been a year since I purchased the thing and just now getting around to using it. Hers a few pictures of what I’m working with. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 33
Set your desired dimension with gage blocks . When inserted into the bore and not touching it won't move . Drag it up thru the bore . If it buries the gage you're out of travel and need to remove more material for the gage to work . One rev =.010 on your set which is quite nice for a .0001 grad set .

Set the tool with minimal contact on the dial so you have .050 to play with .

I understand what you’re saying but when I use a mic to zero the gauge with the selected anvils for my range, the gauge bottoms out. Runs out of travel. No matter how I adjust the gauge

When you say zero the gage , how are you doing it ? Can you take a pic of your mic reading , the anvil used and the gage ? You're doing something incorrect somehow . Let's figure it out , I'm doing nothing other than waiting on the snow to start ! :encourage: :grin:

I have the exact same gauge, I'm thinking the side action on the plunger releases the lever going from 0 to .05. I set mine with a mic, and stand. Your compressing when pushing the head down till it reaches 0, the button must release it showing an increase/decrease in bore.

Do you see the thumb nut that clamps the dial indicator in place? Loosen it and adjust the location of the indicator stem in the housing for more or less travel. If a hole is smaller, the indicator should read (-) or clockwise rotation of needle. If larger it would read (+) or counterclockwise needle rotation. HTH

Back