Dial calliper mounted on lathe

Cheeseking, that's a nice looking lathe you got there. Looking at the handwheels it looks to be a Clausing Colchester? I wish I could have one!

Interesting i didn't know about cups increasing the magnetic force.

I inherited an old Trav-a-Dial that I am hoping to get attached soon to my lathe. I got used to using one in the shop of my mentor and really like the way I can follow that sweeping arm on the dial. A simple magnetic base dial indicator as others have suggested would be my second choice.

Froggie

I inherited an old Trav-a-Dial that I am hoping to get attached soon to my lathe. I got used to using one in the shop of my mentor and really like the way I can follow that sweeping arm on the dial. A simple magnetic base dial indicator as others have suggested would be my second choice.

Froggie

I'll second the trav-a-dial. I have one mounted on my logan. Great for boring or turning to a shoulder. I just picked up a spare that was mounted on an old Cincinnati lathe that was sitting in a scrap yard. Amazing what some people will haul to a scrap yard.

Hi .
If you go on eBay .type in Digital Read Out scroll down until you find a Vernier DRO in different lengths
We usually fit these to turret mill on the quill as a cheap read out.
But look at the prices of a complete 2/3axis DRO they are so cheap .Or try to locate a Travel dial old school but still do a job.

Just some interesting background info on magnets for any kind of project.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=40077&cat=3,42363

All three of my dial callipers are magnetic. When the cursor (the part with the dial) is held with a magnet it creates a lot of drag on the slide.

UPDATE: I experimented with a magnetic mount for a dial calliper because it holds so well.....BUT... after running the slide up and down a few times it magnetizes the callipers! Not good. I do not want my callipers attracting and holding steel chips thank you.
Back to the drawing board for a mechanical style mount.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I experimented with a magnetic mount for a dial calliper because it holds so well.....BUT... after running the slide up and down a few times it magnetizes the callipers! Not good. I do not want my callipers attracting and holding steel chips thank you.
Back to the drawing board for a mechanical style mount.

That is why I find a dial indicator works much better. I have one with a 2 inch travel I use on the lathe.

Back