Dial gauge holder

Skierdude

David P
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I've needed a solid dial gauge holder for tramming the mill. Turned up some 1020. I still need to make some brass thumbscrews but since we are in lock down for another couple of weeks I can't get any supplies for now.
I now have the mill trimmed to .01mm on the X axis and 0.1mm on the Y axis - yikes.
Since I have a cheap mill drill the y axis is going to need some shimming of the column to get the Y axis sorted.
A fun afternoon anyway.
IMG_1734.jpgIMG_1732.jpg

Pretty nice surface finish on those shafts :). Did you use insert cutters or high speed cutters?

I used carbide insert tool and then polished with emery cloth. I'm pretty happy with the results. It will have some nice brass thumbscrews once I can get hold of some suitable size brass after the coronavirus lockdown has ended here in New Zealand, hopefully by the end of next week.

Currently we are our Alert Level 4 which means all non-essential businesses are closed and all persons must remain in their homes. We can go out for exercise staying in the neighbourhood but keeping the 2 metre distance from others that are out.
Supermarket shopping continues but limited to smaller numbers in the stores and gallons of hand sanitiser everywhere.
Those who can are working from home.
Our Covid19 cases are dropping now each day so we expect to move to to Level 3 which will allow more businesses to re-open but no gatherings of people for a few weeks yet - i.e. lots of places remain closed like cinemas, sports, churches etc.
I just want my engineering suppliers to re-open !

Your lock down conditions sound exactly the same as we are under in Washington state.
However, I'm surprised that you can't get raw stock (delivered).
I would expect that providing raw materials would be considered essential.
The metal supplier doesn't know what you're doing with the material.

Anyway, your indicator holder looks great (and even better with those brass screws).

Hardware stores and machining supplies have stayed open around here, needed in support of essential services. Also for cases where repairs need to be done at home ie plumbing, electrical, etc.
Must call in order or order online and pick up from a special 'take out' door. Credit or debit cards only, no cash, no contact.

In my limited experience, I think your mill tramming device is the easiest way to tram.
I like it. You want to make me one too?
Skierdude,
You mentioned two more weeks of lock down??
Is there a plan in New Zealand to go, business as usual, on May 1st??

Your lock down conditions sound exactly the same as we are under in Washington state.
However, I'm surprised that you can't get raw stock (delivered).
I would expect that providing raw materials would be considered essential.
The metal supplier doesn't know what you're doing with the material.

Anyway, your indicator holder looks great (and even better with those brass screws).

That would be something to consider. What about an online metals order?

Back