Dial indicator, do I need to have one?

Ken_NJ

Registered
Registered
I'm gearing up lathe accessories, so forgive my many questions. Have a Micro-Mark 7x14 lathe. I have the stock three jaw chuck. Working mainly with brass aluminum & plastics. I build radio control model boats. I can think of one future project that I might need one. Otherwise not sure if what I do will require one. Probably good to have one on hand.

IF I WERE TO GET ONE, I was looking at a lesser expensive Noga holder. Should I consider other holders? Up in the air about the dial gauge. Would something like this one be OK for me?

Dial Indicator link

I'm learning!!

IMO you need both when I'm doing machine work I can't live with out them . Dial & test , the Noga is very good . I would make a holder to fit on the lathe bed to measure the travel .
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="
" title="Making a Lathe Ways Dial Indicator Holder" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been watching a bunch of videos from Afghanistan and the middle east.
I doubt that they know what a dial indicator is, yet they produce things of necessity without the luxury.
They often use a pointer in close proximity to the work to true things up in a 4 jaw chuck.
Since you have a 3 jaw chuck, the pointer can be used to compare relative runout, but short of rotating the work in the chuck or the use of a bump tool to reduce runout, there is little you can do to adjust runout.
This is not a big deal usually, as soon as you cut the work, it becomes a cylindrical feature that runs true to the spindle axis

I have had good luck buying used measuring tools on Ebay, so far.
I prefer Swiss made stuff when I can get it for a good price. Alina is a good brand

If you decide to get a lever indicator then make sure it has a pivoting spigot. Having this feature makes it so much easier to use and allows you to perform all your lathe indicating without any extra equipment.

Back