Dial indicator internal bore accessorie

cascao

Active User
Registered
Made this ad to my indicator.
The idea came from harold hall but made it in my own way.
47278310132_8e9f3d6ce4_z.jpg

47278309012_a55df85367.jpg

Good job. I never thought to make my own! I bought Starrett, 2 of them in fact, I eventually got both sizes. I could have a saved some money.

Here are a couple of indicator accessories that I made; they are modeled after similar devices that were used in the shops at the Mare Island Navy Yard at Vallejo Ca.
Image #1has a pivoting double ended probe, one end feels the bore, the other operates the button back indicator, the pivots are pointed screw adjustable.
#2 shows it in side view.
#4 shows the second unit, it has a pivoted feeler with an adjustable finger that can be swiveled at (nearly) any angle so that bores, hole bottoms, and back faces may be indicated. The tube connecting things together is made in two pieces, can be used as assembled or in one shorter version.
The rod that actuates the indicator is also made in two pieces to fit the box.
#5 shows the feeler end with the 1/8" diameter ball silver soldered to the arm, it is in position to indicate a bore.
#6 shows the feeler in position to indicate a back face.
#8 shows all the pieces of both devices in a mahogany box that was repurposed to hold it all.
I never worked at Mare Island myself, but a friend who apprenticed there had these devices and I copied them, one back in the 1960s, the other about 8 or so years ago. I did the bluing with nitrate salts according to the US Armory method, molten at 650 deg. F

indicator acessories 001.JPG

indicator acessories 002.JPG

indicator acessories 004.JPG

indicator acessories 005.JPG

indicator acessories 006.JPG

indicator acessories 008.JPG

IMHO for lathe work and general all around use nothing beats a Starrett Last Word indicator. Inexpensive, rugged, versatile, picks up .0005 with ease, works very well and lasts a long time..........Bob

I bought a Last Word indicator when I was An apprentice back in the late 1960s, still using it! I like the simple durable design and small size.

Back