Dial Indicator purchased on eBay is Damaged

Good eye. I did not notice that. Yes, it is way off center. This dial indicator has obviously been beat up a little.

image.jpg

I will have to use it as it is for awhile because I am currently financially embarrassed, and no, the $41 refund does not change that.

I will try to repair it. Gotta have that last .018” of travel!

Nice job for a rainy evening. Before you disparage everything Chinese I'd like to point out that the majority of high end global tool manufacturers have at least some of their product made in China. Problems arise when importers buy the cheapest stuff they can and take it to market at a price point that is super attractive to those that may be unenlightened and just cheap enough to seal the deal. Make no mistake China can and does make tools that rival any made elsewhere but they are not bargain basement priced.
That said if you want to spend a few hours perusing a site like Alibaba: Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters & Importers from the world's largest online B2B marketplace-Alibaba.com and ask lots of questions before purchase you can get top quality at a reasonable price.
In the local market here choice is very limited and very expensive and shipping costs from U.S.A. are absolutely prohibitive for us beggars up here. To date,touch wood, I've never had a crap product nor has anyone I know in dealing direct and often the delivery is faster than across city!

I looked at eBay for at least two hours & I found a used 1/2” travel Made in England John Bull with .0005” graduations for $40 delivered.
D4257838-2EE2-44E6-9A9B-88A9693C9DB3.pngE544472A-394C-4D98-A4AE-AC91225397AA.png

Last edited:
My disappointment with Shars products caused me to run from Made in China products, although let’s note that I am using an iPhone to post this.

Erik, rather than buy a used off-brand or ancient indicator, why not buy a new Mitutoyo indicator with a warranty that is actually serviceable and repairable? You can get a Mitutoyo 2416S (lug back) 0.001 DI with 1" travel for under $90.00 on Amazon. You can find used ones on ebay for half that, although you takes your chances. A Mitutoyo 2776S, a 0.0005" DI, is $124.00. I own both of these and while they are not the finest DI's you can get, they are quite accurate and, to me, reasonable in price. With care, I expect them to serve me well for the rest of my life so maybe think about it?

So here you are bashing another auction seller before you try to contact them and resolve the issue.
There seems to be a trend with you.

Joe

Those Mitutoyos on Amazon look like a great deal.

Last edited:
I agree with mikey, keep an eye on amazon and you can get a nice Mit DI for $50-60. I got my 0-30mm for $55 I think. It'll take you a little while, but those deals do pop up every so often.

I have had mixed luck with Ebay Dial indicators. The Best Test Indicators still in boxes have all been good buys for me. But, almost every loose regular dial indicator has been marginal at best. I did repair one and its okay.
But, almost every used precision measuring instrument which is still in the box usually is a safer buy IMO

But, that said... NEW Chinese indicators from Shars have all been very nice IN MY OPINION. I have to admit, they are smooth and work well. Its hard to go wrong with them at the price of @ 30.00 . They are very nice indicators in my opinion .

Back