Diamond tool holder

That tool will take that cut on a lathe, too, Mike. That was a fun collaboration we had and I'm glad it worked out.

The high rake angle and generous relief should make it a really free cutting tool. It also makes the cutting edge somewhat fragile. What kind of tool life are you experiencing?

I did a shaft with a welded slot, and cut down the weld to shaft diameter with no drama.

The high rake angle and generous relief should make it a really free cutting tool. It also makes the cutting edge somewhat fragile. What kind of tool life are you experiencing?

I know you were querying @Ulma Doctor but I've been using these tools for a long time now and at least under hobby shop conditions, have not had significant issues with tool life. Most of my lathe tools are over a decade old and have held up fine, and I don't baby my tools. I can see why folks think that the edges are fragile and perhaps in a production situation they might not last quite as long as a standard geometry tool. Then again, they cut so well that production would probably increase so having to hone a tool a bit more often might not be a bad trade off. In a hobby shop, edge life is not an issue with these tools but efficacy is and that is where these tools more than hold their own.

They never replied to my inquiry. Anybody have any recommendation what I would need to order for my 10x22 AXA tool post? It is a bit ...I don't know....unorganized (their website) Like I said before, don't want to get the wrong thing and or forget pieces needed.

I'm using the .250, but there is a 5/16" also either one will do on an AXA

Hmmmm...not seeing that @Aukai at 9.5mm tool overhang has a 12.7mm shank (.5")
It also has a technique for measuring, With QC at it lowest point, measure the top of the lower ledge of the holder to the center line of spindle. With a QCTP, I could have a pretty sizable number there if I wanted. Again, a bit confusing.

Back