Diamond Wheel Dresser

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
Need help with the use of a dresser like how to use one on the surface. Now that I have mine working like it should (all most) I ordered one but have never used one. So I could use a little help on it.

Thanks
Paul

If you are using a surface grinder, most people who are dressing only the OD make a little block that will stick to the mag chuck and in the block, have a hole with a set screw to suit the shank of the dressing point. Run the head down to barely touch the wheel, with it running, and the wheel roughly centered over the point. Dial in and out across the face of the wheel, lowering the wheel a little at a time until running true. Light touch is key.

Tony
Shouldn't the diamond point be place behind the center of the wheel so that it can not jam the wheel if the feed is too aggresive? That is how I have been doing it for the last decade or more.
Pierre

Pierre, that certainly is the safer position for the point. If there is any doubt, yes, by all means, put it behind the center. I've not had one catch and grab....but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Good point.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give it a shot when my stuff gets here!

Paul

Back