Did Herberts of Los Angeles make metal lathes?

I have to assume that your interests would require the ability to cut threads. That machine would require a stack of change gears since it doesn't have a quick change gear box (QCGB). Even if it has those gears I would recommend that you continue your search. If info about the lathe is scarce, the change gear chart for threading would be non-existent.
Thank you for your advice! That is a very good point. As far as I can tell, the change gears are missing. I do need the ability to cut threads, so this is a big deal for me.

Not enough info to really know but this one might be be worth checking out.

John

Not enough info to really know but this one might be be worth checking out.

John
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a 240v in my workshop so I could use such a machine without converting it or getting a phase converter.

I may email the seller for more info later.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have a 240v in my workshop so I could use such a machine without converting it or getting a phase converter.

I may email the seller for more info later.
If you have 240v you are set for most different phase converters.

Let us know what you find from the seller, sometimes the ones without pictures are a great deal because you have to dig them out from garages full of other good stuff.

John

A google search for Herbert No. 5 brought up capstan lathes of British manufacture, which are most emphatically NOT the lathe shown in the ad. I narrowed the search to "Herberts of Los Angeles lathe" and found a page on Vintage Machinery devoted to a "Herberts Machinery Co." that was based out of Los Angeles, CA. This page says that Herberts was a manufacturer of woodworking equipment, including wood lathes. Some were sold under the name "Wood Wizard", others under the Craftsman brand. No mention is made of any metal lathes. There are some pictures, but they are fuzzy reproductions of original ads for Wood Wizard, and I can't tell if the lathe in the CL ad is similar in construction.

I have one of the Wood Wizard band saws, and it's a really cool old piece of equipment. The entire front blade and wheel cover is cast iron, rather than sheet metal. It's old enough that ball bearings were a new enough feature that i has "ball bearings" cast into the cover.

after relooking at the lathe again I would offer him $250 and let him decide for you. at $250 it would be a perfect bargain to get a starter metal lathe for your shop and he has already cleaned it all up. you can't go wrong and could resell it later if you find a complete working lathe with tooling. threading isn't the only thing you will be using the lathe for. it has a nice chuck and tailstock on it, and looks well made.
Dave

after relooking at the lathe again I would offer him $250 and let him decide for you. at $250 it would be a perfect bargain to get a starter metal lathe for your shop and he has already cleaned it all up. you can't go wrong and could resell it later if you find a complete working lathe with tooling. threading isn't the only thing you will be using the lathe for. it has a nice chuck and tailstock on it, and looks well made.
Dave
Thank you for your advice... they dropped the price again recently. Apparently reality is not meeting their expectations regarding the value of this machine, and they may want to move it along.

I've compared the lathe shown in the listing with photos of Wood Wizard and Craftsman brand wood lathes that Herberts manufactured, and I'm now convinced this isn't a converted wood lathe. Certainly it's not a Wood Wizard, as the castings are all different. The presence of back gears and a power feed definitely mark this as a metalworking lathe. I don't know the size or specs, but I'm guessing at least 10" swing and 36" between centers.

I'm seriously considering reaching out to the seller. For a bargain price this could definitely beat a Chinese mini-lathe (and I prefer old American tools anyway). If I do I will update you all regarding any info I obtain and the actual specs of the machine.

Back