Did I Do the Right Thing?: Live Center

I don't see anything in the item description that specifies that this is a spring loaded live center. Live centers should not be spring loaded. The spring would negate the effect of the center and cause it to push back.

You can use a good heavy live center for knurling.

Maybe not in that description but it is spring loaded. I use a similar one by Concentric, and it's dandy - makes up for heat expansion of the workpiece.

I have a compact little Royal spring loaded #2 Morse taper center that I use a lot on my HLVH lathe for small work. But,it is not the type center for resisting much of a sideways load,like in knurling. It has a slender CNC type center in it that gives more room to get a turning tool all the way to the end of the work. It also slightly increases the distance between centers on my HLVH,which is not a very long lathe.

Thanks guys. So I should only use the spring live center on small diameter parts? Darn. I thought it would be a perfect do-all live center but it sounds like I should get a "regular" live center afterall.

It has been mentioned previously about oil on a dead center. I always use white lead (Oh,horror, it's poison!). It's what the old timers used before live centers were common. I know it's no longer available at stores but I have found a lifetime supply at flea markets and yard sales.
Even if it's hard as flint it can be softened with a little solvent. It was usually made with linseed oil I hear. Any paint solvent seems to work well if given time to work. The normal precautions apply about WL, no eating and wash your hands after being exposed. I do this anyway, the dark sulfur cutting oil is NOT a condiment in my house. YMMV

Darn. I thought it would be a perfect do-all live center but it sounds like I should get a "regular" live center afterall.

Unfortunately there's no such thing. I would definitely consider a medium to heavy duty center & later on if needed an extended nose live center as well as a bull nose (bull nose not so much depending on your needs).

The spring loaded center is not necessarily relegated to very small parts,but should not be used with heavier parts either. It requires a little common sense is all. The tip is spring loaded,and you must recon with how large a load it can sustain without retracting the tip. And,take light cuts.

Back