Did I just get SUPER lucky on Ebay?

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, for a quick background, I have a fairly rare/not often seen lathe, a Reed Prentice 16" lathe. Unfortunately when I bought it, it didn't come with a steady or follow rest. I have a separate thread in my post-history about adapting a different large steady rest for use for a different project (which was great!). Additionally, about 4 months ago, I ran into someone who had the same lathe, AND managed to have the follow rest! He let me take the attached pictures to it.

Fast forward to this weekend. I stumbled upon THIS listing on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402920061028

The seller doesn't list anything about it other than being a follow-rest.

I bid on it and won (despite the super high shipping!). As far as I can tell, this is the SAME steady rest, right? The casting itself looks dead on! I think I've actually managed to get a follow-rest for my machine! So, anyone want to check out the pictures and listing and burst my bubble?

Attachments

• PXL_20210205_001208408.jpg
    PXL_20210205_001208408.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20210205_001259053.jpg
    PXL_20210205_001259053.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 120

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
It appears to be the same animal. You will know for sure soon enough. Congrats.

ErichKeane

So I just got it in the mail yesterday! It is bigger than I figured it would be, but it "fits" on the lathe, and appears to be at the right height!

It is covered/filled with some really weird molasses consistency shmoo, so nothing really moves all that well, but I think it is the right thing! It probably needs a GOOD cleaning, but I think I got lucky!

Pay no attention to the flash-rusted dividing head part :D

Attachments

• PXL_20210628_023033972.jpg
    PXL_20210628_023033972.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83

jakes_66

I'll try to not act jealous... Trying... :finger wag:

Attachments

• 2017-03-18 13.23.12.jpg
    2017-03-18 13.23.12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 81

ErichKeane

Oooh, wow! I didn't know there were any more RPs around here! You've got a nice long one!

Papa Charlie

So I just got it in the mail yesterday! It is bigger than I figured it would be, but it "fits" on the lathe, and appears to be at the right height!

It is covered/filled with some really weird molasses consistency shmoo, so nothing really moves all that well, but I think it is the right thing! It probably needs a GOOD cleaning, but I think I got lucky!

Pay no attention to the flash-rusted dividing head part :D
The only things that looks out of place is I have never seen a follower that is not mounted on the side of the carriage between the cutting tool and the chuck. It is suppose to support the part opposite the tool.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock