Did Logan put shims under the headstock?

My previous post was a bit cryptic, so I'll elaborate. When I added an AXA QCTP to my Logan 10" lathe I found that the 1/2" indexable tool holders that came with the QCTP sat slightly too high on the compound, even when adjusted all the way down. Not wanting to buy an additional set of 3/8" indexable tool holders, I decided to raise both the headstock and the tailstock by approximately .040" using shims. This would lower the compound in relation to the headstock and tailstock. This solution worked fine and enabled me to align the tool holders correctly on the work piece. After I got my Rockwell mill I decided to fix the problem by removing the shims and milling .050" off the bottom sides of the tool holders, lowering the cutter. Again, this worked as hoped for and I was much happier with the solution.

So if you find that a 10" lathe has shims under BOTH the headstock and tailstock, a previous owner might have employed the same fix that I did for a "too high" AXA QCTP, especially if the lathe is Logan/Montgomery Ward. This problem with AXA tool height is apparently fairly common.

I have never understood why this was such an issue with so many people unless one already had a BXA QCTP and a bunch of BXA holders and no ready market for them. Or a drawer full of unused assorted 1/2" square cutter holders. Or both. The AXA was obviously designed for 3/8" square cutter holders as the row of four set screws are centered 3/16" from the vertical wall of the slot. The price differential for both holders and cutters is usually substantial. And if the machine was designed for AXA running BXA to the limits will shorten its life.

Back