Die head ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have 4 geometric die heads down here . All are the DSM variety . I have a box of 5/16 K model chasers and have never seen a die head for them . There are tons of chasers for sale on the bay but nothing about the actual heads . Are they that elusive , outdated , unwanted or cherished by their owners ? :grin:

I have several die heads Geometric, Hartness, and J&L tangent style all with pretty near full sets of chasers, I don't use them much, but sometimes they are worth setting up if much threading needs to be done, I bought a Warner & Swasey #5 turret lathe from the shop where I apprenticed, and got ALL the die heads in the place, except a 2 1/2 or 3" Landis tangent die head that I could not find, it was used on another turret lathe to thread
2 1/4" rebar right over the ribs in 3 passes, I think, they were welded into cages for bases for electric transmission towers.
The J&L heads I would like to sell along with the chasers and sharpening fixtures. They are too big for hobby use, guess I should put them on E Bay.

John , have you ever come across a 5/16 head that took K chasers ? I see plenty of chasers but no heads .

John , have you ever come across a 5/16 head that took K chasers ? I see plenty of chasers but no heads .
I had a 5/16 Geometric die head, but it took the common style D chasers, finally sold it on EB.

Yes , I have the 5/16ths head also and use it with the DSM . These chasers I speak of are K series which I've never seen heads for . :dunno:

In my catalog, I see die heads for type K chasers; type K die heads type CK, KH2 KD a four chaser head and KDS which takes five chasers, It looks like those die heads were mostly used on automatic screw machines.
Another book says that the DS is for B&S and other single spindle automatics and light hand screw machines ,the KD was for multi spindle automatics, and theK2H was used on hand screw machines and turret lathes.

I did read up on the heads so they WERE made . Just can't locate a picture of one other than in those catalogs . Wonder where they all got to ? :dejected:

I did read up on the heads so they WERE made . Just can't locate a picture of one other than in those catalogs . Wonder where they all got to ? :dejected:
Good question, I'm guessing that the style D head was more desirable, being easier to set up and became the more popular style, it seems to be about the only die head that after market chasers are available for, at least in tool catalogs.

Guess I'll put a search out for a while . Nothing comes up I'll move them over to the bay . Maybe someone has a head and can use them . Thanks John !

Back