Die threading on lathe

Larry$

Registered
Registered
I made this so I could use my 5/8" hex dies on the arbor I had bought for round dies. After drilling and reaming for the arbor I drilled for the die and then set it up on the rotary table in a tool makers vice. Aluminum pop can was used to protect the knurls. I used a HSS 1/8" end mill, DOC .025 (after some experimenting to see what worked.) 3000 rpm. After all the straight cuts were done, I used the end mill to "drill" out the round corners. Got good fits and gave it a try on the lathe. 1/4-28 on aluminum. Got a very clean thread. I still need to make a cross bar handle for it if I'm going to use it on steel. I've got two more to make in different sizes.

Attachments

• .625 die holder for tailstock die holder.JPG
    .625 die holder for tailstock die holder.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Rotary table setup making die holder 2.JPG
    Rotary table setup making die holder 2.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 45
Nice job.

I used a hex block, but it does the same job. had to turn the back down on some to fit the collets I have. No big deal.

I used a hex block
That would be easier for the sides but then I rotated 30 degrees to drill the corners. Besides that I'm trying to get more proficient with the RT. I did use a collet block to drill the cross hole for the rod to give added leverage when doing steel.

Back