Difference between dividing head models and recommendations

Net30

Registered
Registered
Okay I need a dividing head. Or at least a indexing Chuck. I think eventually I'll make a rotary Chuck adapter for the rotary table. But for now I want to get a dividing head. I'm kind of torn between getting something like a cintimill, Cincinnati or k&t vs buying a new vertex. When I find one semi close it seems like it's gone too fast or people are unwilling to go through the process of shipping.

There are a few big questions I have. Between the models bs-1bs-0 and the likes, do they all rotate with the handle? I've seen a few videos of people talking about have to manually index them, which will not work for me. I want something that indexes with the turn of the handle.

So besides that could you give me your best take on difference between bs-0 and bs-1. I'm probably never going to integrate into the mill so Universal isn't really needed. Semi Universal would be nice. How's the rigidity on these machines? Is there another option I'm missing? Is there anything you personally use you would recommend?

Most of the B&S type dividing heads have the capability to tilt and also to disengage the worm for rapid indexing via a dividing plate on the spindle, I do not know much about the O size. I have a #2 universal that also has the capability of preforming differential indexing, which allows dividing of prime numbers, such as 127 for making metric transposing gears, I expect that any of the other manufacturers you mention have the same features in the larger sizes, smaller sizes, not so much.

The difference between the B&S clones is size. For manually turned hobby work, the china clones are not bad for value. They aren't glass smooth and refined like old American ex-job shop iron, but they are adequate and index accurately (kind of easy to accomplish at 40:1, and dividing is an elementary function). Rigidity is fine in an intrinsic sense, otherwise it is dictated by setup.

I am not friendly in my opinions about Chinese tools, but I am happy with my dividing head. I took it apart for cleaning and replaced the bearings with German SKF, but neither step was really necessary.

I think you might be referring to a dividing head vs. a super spacer. A super spacer uses indexing plates that notch into a detent to index the rotation of the chuck. Whereas a dividing head uses a handle attached to a worm gear that usually has a 40:1 ratio, and uses indexing plates that a detent on the HANDLE fall into in order to index the angle of rotation.

If you have a Bridgeport size mill (i.e. 9" x 42" table), the BS-0 might be bit too small if you do any kind of medium sized work. The BS-0 is smaller and lighter, so that might be a consideration if you have trouble moving something that weighs 60 pounds.

They both the BS-0 and the BS-1 operate the same, although some versions of these clones don't offer differential indexing.

Super spacer:
225-008-2017.jpg

Dividing head:

41tmhQxbPgL.jpg

Note the shaft coming out of the back of the dividing head is part of the mechanism used for differential indexing.

I have a Vertex BS-0 size I got off ebay as new old stock. I needed to take it apart to clean up the dried out grease, but it is built well and has performed great for me. It uses the handle to rotate, but I believe I can disengage that and rotate by hand, but I haven't done that yet, so not sure on how to do that. If you can find a Vertex for a good price, I think you will be happy with it.

If I had to do it again, I might get the BS-1 size for future work considerations, but so far the lighter weight of the -0 is nice.

I got the BS-1 from PM. I've been very happy with it. Costs a little more than most of the imports, but was really solid, well packaged, and works exactly as you would expect. I opened it up to clean it out, but it was already quite clean. A little cosmo, but nothing crazy like chips or grinding dust. I don't think it can do the differential stuff, or spirals, but it does divide things, when I manage to do it without messing up.

I like the diving head enough that it lives on the mill table most of the time. I use it about every other time I mill stuff. It's handy for round part holding in general, even when I don't need to index it.

Here 'a brochure and price list for some L-W Chuck products available in 1972. The dividing heads and a brief description on how to make adjustments are on the last page. Note the prices seem somewhat inexpensive. Keep in mind that the dollar in 1972 is currently worth $7.42. If the 11" model was available today it would cost a little over $3,554.00

Attachments

• Dividing Head Brochure.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • L-W Dividing Heads.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I really like my Carroll universal dividing head. I have the left hand 10” model. It swivels and is very accurate.Has a Brown and Sharpe#10 taper.
Martin

How big of a chuck for a bs-0 dividing it? Any easy way to remove a Chuck for use in other fixtures?

How big of a chuck for a bs-0 dividing it? Any easy way to remove a Chuck for use in other fixtures?
The import BS-0 comes with a 5", I believe. It comes with a tapered arbor to thread adapter that is either 1"-10 (or maybe 1-1/4"-10?), so yes, it is a chuck you can swap to a rotary table or whatever you've got very easily.

Back