Differences between Lagun -1 and -2 mills?

P-Ritch

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

There have been a fair bit of Lagun mills popping up on Craigslist in the Southwest and some of them are pretty appealing price-wise. I can't seem to differentiate the difference between the -1s and the -2s though.

I know the FT's are the step pulley model, while the FTV's are the variable spead heads. I can't find any spec sheets that show the true difference between the -1 and -2. At first I thought it was table size, but I've seen -1's with 10x50 tables and then -2's with 9x42s on ebay or other auction sites. One guy on an old practical machinist thread simply stated that the -2 were just a heavier version of the mill. However, when I dug into that, most sites only had about a 100 lb difference between the two.

Are the -1s just an older vintage? I noticed Lagun only sells new FTV-2 manual mills now from the factory.

I was just hoping to get some clarification.

Thanks,

Jon

I have a Lagun and from what I learned while rebuilding my mill is there are like 3 generations of heads. Maybe more by now as this was awhile ago. 2nd and 3rd gen are mostly different in internal upgrades like brake shoe variations ect.. I am,by no means an expert on them. I was helped by a few from this group that are more versed in them. I only have worked on 1. My mill was in rough shape at best. Probably should have scrapped it. Much of the build is here somewhere. It may be smart to avoid the earlier Gen 1 as from what I gathered, parts could be an issue. Those that are interested should get a copy of the service/parts manual as I think gen 1 and the newer versions are in there. I’d have to dig mine out. I spent more than a little time talking with Carmen (been awhile) who helped me a ton. Of course there are always exceptions with machines so investigate what comes by you but the the early 1 may be more of a challenge. As far as the other 2, most, if not all parts can be upgraded from what I remember. Good luck!

I have a Lagun and from what I learned while rebuilding my mill is there are like 3 generations of heads. Maybe more by now as this was awhile ago. 2nd and 3rd gen are mostly different in internal upgrades like brake shoe variations ect.. I am,by no means an expert on them. I was helped by a few from this group that are more versed in them. I only have worked on 1. My mill was in rough shape at best. Probably should have scrapped it. Much of the build is here somewhere. It may be smart to avoid the earlier Gen 1 as from what I gathered, parts could be an issue. Those that are interested should get a copy of the service/parts manual as I think gen 1 and the newer versions are in there. I’d have to dig mine out. I spent more than a little time talking with Carmen (been awhile) who helped me a ton. Of course there are always exceptions with machines so investigate what comes by you but the the early 1 may be more of a challenge. As far as the other 2, most, if not all parts can be upgraded from what I remember. Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up. I may try to get the SN's of the ones for sale and see if I can figure out a date of manufacture. I actually came across your rebuild thread while trying to answer my question above. It has a lot of good info and photos. Do you have a picture of when the mill was fully finished and put back together? That must have been a great feeling!

Thanks for the heads up. I may try to get the SN's of the ones for sale and see if I can figure out a date of manufacture. I actually came across your rebuild thread while trying to answer my question above. It has a lot of good info and photos. Do you have a picture of when the mill was fully finished and put back together? That must have been a great feeling!
I keep forgetting that one. I’ll work on that.

I posted a few recent pics of mill finished ,in the original thread.

Back